Q500 4k went in the drink.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Steven Sampson, Aug 2, 2021.

?

Am I screwed,

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Maybe not

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Steven Sampson

Steven Sampson New Member

Sep 23, 2018
    Male
    I have two brand new batteries but decided to test an older one that I found. I put it in my q500 4k And it showed that it was fully charged brought it up in the air about 30 ft and then the low voltage aircraft warning came on. I automatically hit return to home. And it shut right off and dropped into the pond.
    I was not able to find it until this morning. So it has been there for a while but it has been fresh water not salt. Any chance at all that something may work, or the camera!
    I do have another one where the camera broke on it so I could use the parts from this thank God. Propellers shell,landing gear...etc

Has anyone had their drone submerged and brought back their life? If so I'm going to call this thing Lazarus. Please let me know your feedback I have not even done anything since I took it out of the water I'm just setting it out in the sun. And I'm thinking about taking the camera off and putting it in a bag of rice. Thoughts or suggestions?

I live in New York state and it was 76° today. When I pulled it out of the water

Thanks Steve

Attached Files:

2. WTFDproject

WTFDproject Active Member
    Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    To answer you question; Yes, many drones have survived a dunking. And many have not.
    The chances of success depend a lot on whatever effects the low voltage itself had on the electronics and whatever is naturally dissolved in the local water. I doubt putting it in rice will have any effect one way or the the other since it has been out of the water long enough to be partially dried out.
    Flushing with clean water immediately after retrieval seems to have been a factor in some of the success stories. I would at least try flushing it with demineralized water in an attempt to removed some of the dried contaminants, followed by flushing with alcohol to remove the water, and then blowing it out with air to remove the alcohol. And then giving it plenty of time to dry out completely. It's gonna depend a lot on luck.
    You can't do much about damage caused by the low voltage. That will either be there, or it will not. Cameras seem to survive much more often than the drone's mainboard and ESCs.
    You first start-up should be outside in a clear area. LIPO fires are not something you want in the house.

3. Steven Sampson

Sep 23, 2018
    Male
    Well the drone is DOA. But I'm wondering if there's any way to get the camera to work as I have another drone that flies perfect but the camera doesn't work.

4. WTFDproject

Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    You won't really know if the camera will work until you try to power it up. You can check the three contacts to see if there are any shorts, and of course make sure the three black wires that run from the contacts to the gimbal board are not damaged. I would use a Steadygrip to try it out if you have one available.

5. Steven Sampson

Sep 23, 2018
    Male
    I tried on a steady grip. Nothing. No lights, no nothing. I'll have to inspect the wires and connections. Thanks

6. WTFDproject

Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    After you remove the top part of the mount and the cover from the gimbal board, there is a quick check you can do to see if any hope exists. There are two mosfets labeled "Hot Boxes" on the picture below. If these two mosfets get blistering hot a few seconds after you power on the camera via the pigtail, it pretty much means the main processor is corrupt. It cannot be repaired. The gimbal board will need to be replaced and calibrated to match the sensors on your camera. This calibration can only be done with factory firmware and procedures that were never released to the public. The cost of the repair is normally about the same as a replacement camera.

And when I say "blistering" hot, I'm not kidding. Be careful. They don't look hot, but you can leave some skin on them in a heartbeat.

Hot Box.jpg