Q500 4K Q5004K Not automatically binding

Discussion in 'Q500/Q500+/Q500 4K/Typhoon G' started by 914pete, Mar 15, 2019.

1. 914pete

914pete New Member

Mar 14, 2019
    Male
    #1 914pete, Mar 15, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    Hi, new here. I have a refurbished Q5004K that works great. Turn the ST10 on, turn the Typhoon on everything connects, flies great. I just picked up a used Q5004k. There are a couple problems with it. The CG03 cam starts to go through it's movements at start up but then gets stuck to the left and sounds like the motor is still turning it to the left. If I tilt the drone to the right, the cam sounds like the motor stops but when I put it back on a level surface, it turns slowly all the way to the left and the motor sounds like its still turning it to the left....not a good sound. I did take the cam apart and inspected the circuit boards. No obvious damage. Nothing burned, no wires damaged. The connecting wire looks good too.

Second issue, it doesn't bind automatically. I keep having to go into model select, click the model, then go into bind, bind it, then only about 50% of the time it binds and I can start it. Otherwise it wont start. I haven't tried flying it yet. Just picked it up yesterday so I've only tried it in my office where there is a lot of electrical "noise". I can't even get a radio station in here on my radio.

Any suggestions on these two issues?

2. WTFDproject

WTFDproject Active Member
    Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    The first suggestion would be to clearly identify the problems. You may have a great advantage in that I assume you have two complete 4K kits.

Try the problem camera on the good 4k, and vice versa. That will show if the problem is a calibration issue with the camera itself, or possibly an issue with the new drone.

Similarly, try the problem controller on the good drone, and also vice versa. This will show if the glitch is related to the controller, or to the drone.

Some advice. You are probably considering doing firmware updates right about now. That's not a real problem with the drone itself, but updates to the camera and especially the controller, are risky. It would be to your advantage to save firmware updates until all other possibilities are exhausted.

3. 914pete

914pete New Member

Mar 14, 2019
    Male
    I thought about doing that but am a little concerned with mixing the two together and ending up with two drones not working.

4. WTFDproject

Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    #4 WTFDproject, Mar 18, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
    OK. It’s not that big a deal, normally, but I know anything can become an issue if you aren’t comfortable with it. Anytime you want to talk through some of the swapping stuff, just let us know.

For now, let’s talk specifically about the problem camera instead. Two questions:
    1.) What angle is it pointing left?
    2.) Had the mount been taken apart lately? (Before the problem showed up)
    If recently disassembled, the rear arm may have been attached 120 degrees out of normal alignment by incorrectly installing the three screws that hold the rear arm to the top (Yaw) motor.

5. 914pete

914pete New Member

Mar 14, 2019
    Male

6. WTFDproject

Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    @914pete, the message part of your reply did not come through.

7. 914pete

914pete New Member

Mar 14, 2019
    Male
    Ok, I had some time to look at the used CG03 and compare against my refurbished CG03. The used one is missing a few things. Oh, when it swings to the left, it can only go about 45 degrees. The plastic frame prevents it from going any further, even though the motor is still trying to turn it more.
    What its missing is the top plate that slides onto the Q500 has 3 contacts mounted from the underside with 3 screws. My good CG03 has one. Its a little circuit board stamped "20150528 Cgo Steadygrip-3 v2" The contacts are GND,VOC,PWM. These wires are soldered to the main circuit board in the CG03 marked 20150531.My good Q500 has 3 spring loaded contacts that contacts the CG03 when it slides onto the drone. The used Q500 is missing the contacts too. So whatever these 3 contacts between the drone and the CG03 are for, the used drone doesn't have it any of it. Any idea what these contacts between the Q500 and the CG03 do?
    [​IMG]
    This is the good CG03. Also, screwed to the front (by my fingers) are two wires under that flat plastic plate. The used CG03 doesn't have that either. What are those wires for?

8. 914pete

914pete New Member

Mar 14, 2019
    Male
    I pasted a picture of the good CG03. Do I have to "upload" pictures rather then paste them?

9. 914pete

914pete New Member

Mar 14, 2019
    Male
    That little 3 contact board mounts to the underside of the CG03 top plate. Its missing on the used CG03

Attached Files:

10. 914pete

914pete New Member

Mar 14, 2019
    Male
    Also missing is there are two wires screwed to the from of the CG03 under that flat plastic plate by my fingers. The used CG03 doesn't have those either. What are they for?

11. 914pete

914pete New Member

Mar 14, 2019
    Male
    These are the two plates on the Q500's where the CG03's attach. They are totally different. The Used Q500 plate doesn't even have a place to mount that little 3 contact circuit board.

Attached Files:

12. WTFDproject

Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    Only the Q500 4K had the contact plate on the drone. The three wires are duplicates of the three wires in the pigtail that plug into the body of the Q500. Those three wires have destroyed MANY CGo3 cameras. If the camera mount gets knocked off the rubber dampers, the wires get yanked off the board, causing many bad things to happen to the gimbal board. I removed these wires completely from my camera, and just use the pigtail.

The mounts on the drone are different because the earlier drones and cameras did not use the "Hot Shoe". You don't need it if you use the pigtail and body connector.

The camera banging against the stops increases my suspicion the three arm screws are in the wrong position. Some folks can manage to get to the screws without removing back arm, which is much faster and less complicated. You could try that first. I find it too clumsy, and prefer to just drop the rear motor without really disconnecting anything. There is a thread on the forum that works through the arm removal. I'll go find it and send the link in another post. Give me a couple minutes.

javier lopez vaamonde likes this.
  13. WTFDproject

Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    By the way, not sure about the other wires you mentioned. I think you MAY be talking about the microphone. If so, some cameras had them, some did not. The microphone is worthless on a drone. The microphone is for use on a steadygrip.

14. WTFDproject

Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    [QUOTE=" I'll go find it and send the link in another post. Give me a couple minutes.[/QUOTE]
    Here is the link for dropping the arm. Note the top motor moves very easily. Whatever method you use, remove the three screws, rotate the arm one screw position to the right (or rotate the motor one screw position to the left). And yeah, it's really easy to get confused. If you get it wrong, just do it again until you find the correct alignment.

See Post #3 of this thread:
    https://yuneec-forum.com/threads/how-to-disassemble-the-cg03.9367/

15. 914pete

914pete New Member

Mar 14, 2019
    Male
    "I removed these wires completely from my camera, and just use the pigtail.
    The mounts on the drone are different because the earlier drones and cameras did not use the "Hot Shoe". You don't need it if you use the pigtail and body connector."

This is good to know. You can see on the pic I posted of my refurbished Q500/CG03 gimbal board it looks like the PWM "hot shoe" wire was ripped off the board and they soldered it to the back plug lead.

I will try repositioning the motor tonight. Makes sense. I was going to try it last night but without instructions on disassembling the CG03 arm, I hesitated. Thanks for the link! It didn't look like the CG03 was ever taken apart but who knows. I bought it used. Your right, It is VERY delicate work and I will be mindful of static electricity.

I did fly the used Q500 last night for the first time briefly on the back patio. Just hovering. Seems OK, it did bind right away this time. I will calibrate the compass before any further flying.

I'll report back tomorrow after repositioning the motor mount. Thanks for all your help!

16. WTFDproject

Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    [QUOTE=" Seems OK, it did bind right away this time.[/QUOTE]
    That reminded me of something I wanted to mention. After a new bind, it seems to matter how you shut down. I can't remember whether you have to turn the drone off first, then the controller, or the other way around, but it seems to only matter the first time. If you get it to "memorize" the bind once, it stays bound. I don't recall anyone else mentioning this, so it could just be a figment of my imagination. Just something to try if the problem comes up again.

17. 914pete

914pete New Member

Mar 14, 2019
    Male
    Still pretty new to the Q500. I probably have less then a dozen flights. But I've always turned the Q500 off first then the ST10.

18. WTFDproject

Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    [QUOTE="That little 3 contact board mounts to the underside of the CG03 top plate. Its missing on the used CG03[/QUOTE]
    You might want to keep this for future use. It has helped me several times.
    cgo3 Gimbal Board Connections & Error Codes.jpg

19. 914pete

914pete New Member

Mar 14, 2019
    Male
    You might want to keep this for future use. It has helped me several times.
    View attachment 7877 [/QUOTE]

Already printed it out LOL. Thanks a lot!

20. 914pete

914pete New Member

Mar 14, 2019
    Male
    Any idea what this wire might be? Its taped to one of the legs on the used Q500. My refurbished Q500 doesn't have it.

Attached Files: