Q500 4K Q5004K Not automatically binding

Discussion in 'Q500/Q500+/Q500 4K/Typhoon G' started by 914pete, Mar 15, 2019.

1. WTFDproject

WTFDproject Active Member
    Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    It's one of two antennae for the drone receiver. The other is routed inside the body. Some models routed it down the landing gear, some inside the body. Doesn't matter which, as long as it is layed out 90deg from the one that runs towards the drone nose. I put all mine inside to make it easier to take off the landing gear. Probably most folks do that the first time they take the shell off for something else.

2. WTFDproject

Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    @914pete,

I am working on a modified PDF of the motor arm post to include the steps you will need to align the motor arm. While working on it, something possibly important occurred to me;
    The previous owner probably removed the gimbal board to make that solder repair. Part of board removal involves three very short, very delicate wires that go to the top (Yaw) motor position sensor (encoder). If he broke one or more of those wires, it could create the symptoms you are seeing.
    Any broken wires should have revealed themselves by a “Beep code” during camera initialization. (see the “encoder beep code” section of the drawing in post #18 above).
    Or you can also check the wires manually. If you carefully remove the four screws on the gimbal board, you should be able to lift it enough to locate and check the short wires that go to the Yaw sensor. They are connector "C" (Yaw encoder) on the drawing in post #18. The soldered ends are covered with black rubber sealant, which makes it hard to tell if any are loose under the sealant, which is where they break. Use some tweezers to tug each one (gently) to ensure they are still attached.

3. WTFDproject

Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    #23 WTFDproject, Mar 20, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    [QUOTE=" I am working on a modified PDF of the motor arm post to include the steps you will need to align the motor arm. [/QUOTE]
    This is the modified PDF. The new stuff begins on Step 11.

Attached Files:

javier lopez vaamonde likes this.
  4. 914pete

914pete New Member

Mar 14, 2019
    Male
    Thanks for the above info. I took apart and reassembled the CG03 probably 6-7 times last night repositioning the motor each time. I could get it to swing one way or the other but never settling straight ahead. I have a feeling there is an issue with the yaw board. All the wires look intact. I even laid the Q500 on its props upside down, left the CG03 unattached from the motor, powered it up and waited for the motor to stop turning, reattached the CG03 straight ahead in that position which in theory should have been correct but as soon as I turned the Q500 back over on its legs the CG03 turned again to the left. I have it in a position now where it is turned full left but at least the motor isn't continuously running.

5. 914pete

914pete New Member

Mar 14, 2019
    Male
    The picture I posted of the CG03 that had some soldering work done was of the refurbished one which works fine. I don't think the problem camera has ever been worked on. Everything looks new. I didn't get a chance to calibrate the compass last night. I thought it was odd that when I had the Q500 upside down resting on the counter the CG03 stayed straight ahead. Only when I flipped it back over on its legs did the CG03 automatically start turning left again.

6. WTFDproject

Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    Wow. That is a new one. I will take apart a working camera today to experiment, but I agree that it currently sounds like the Yaw encoder is bad, or the gimbal board itself is bad. (I have a bucket full of CGo3s with bad gimbal boards. The cost of repair is close to, or higher, than the cost of a new camera, with no guarantee of success.)
    It will be much later today before I get to experiment. But I will post the results when I have them. Maybe something useful will show up.

7. WTFDproject

Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    Did you ever try the problem camera on the good Q500, or on a steadygrip? Not a lot of hope that would show a difference, but it would be good to completely eliminate the drone/controller as potential issues.

8. 914pete

914pete New Member

Mar 14, 2019
    Male
    Yes, I did try the bad camera on the good Q500. Same thing, turned hard left, motor continued to run. Maybe tonight I'll try putting the good camera on the used Q500 and see what happens.

9. WTFDproject

Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    [QUOTE="I will take apart a working camera today to experiment, Maybe something useful will show up.[/QUOTE]

@914pete,
    Nothing useful came of experimenting with a good CGo3. For what it’s worth, here is what I tried:

Deliberately misaligned the mounting screws: This did not reveal anything really new. The camera moved left until it hit the frame stop, and continued trying to move. The motor wasn’t making much noise, but if I listened real close, I could hear a little bit of sound. It did not line up perfectly when the drone was turned upside down, but it was fairly close. If I tried to align it by hand while upside down, it would try to hold a couple of different angles, but not straight ahead. These results were not much different from your description above.

I also disconnected Yaw Encoder wires one at a time. Again, did not result in anything more than expected. Gimbal board just failed to initialize, and sounded the Yaw Encoder beep codes.

10. 914pete

914pete New Member

Mar 14, 2019
    Male
    I guess it will require sending back to Yuneec for a calibration. I noticed Best Buy Geek Squad is an "authorized" repair center. Do you know if they can actually do the repair there or just put it in a box and send it to Yuneec?

11. WTFDproject

Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    Unless you bought it at Best Buy, many of them will not even accept it for return to Yuneec. But there have been random reports of some BB stores that will try to help. If Best Buy doesn't work out, Yuneec has two actual repair facilities that do the work for them. Be sure to get an estimated cost. Repairs and shipping are generally pretty much in the same cost range as a new camera.

12. 914pete

914pete New Member

Mar 14, 2019
    Male
    Have you (or anyone) tried these guys https://www.vertigodrones.com/Certified-Repairs-and-Services_ep_49-1.html

Just did an online chat with them. I was told a CG03 calibration including to and from shipping "should" be less then $100 provided nothing else is wrong. I asked about the yaw encoder board should it need one. They have them for $11.99. I'm guessing with the right equipment, the calibration is probably very simple.

13. WTFDproject

Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    Let us know if that turns out good. If it's just calibration and one or two of the smaller boards, repair would sound like a very reasonable option. All the cameras in my junk bucket have bad gimbal boards(at least) I think the gimbal boards are about $50, plus shipping and repairs, and anything else that might be wrong with the camera. New cameras show up for about $210 fairly often, which makes it too close for repairs to be an option for any I currently have in the bucket. I think I have 8 in there right now, including a couple that have parts missing. And not one good gimbal board in the whole bunch.

I'm east coast USA, Time Zone GMT-5. Where are you?

14. 914pete

914pete New Member

Mar 14, 2019
    Male
    NJ. Vertigo drones is in Webster NY

15. Russell Smith

Russell Smith Member

Jun 27, 2015
    Male
    Exactly .don't do any updates until you fix these problems.