Range Extender for Chroma what's best ?

Discussion in 'Blade Chroma Series' started by SKETCHY, Dec 29, 2016.

1. SKE

SKETCHY Member

Please give me your input guys. I am looking for the best bang for my buck.Intelite,fpvlr.com or Carolina drones system,sunhans booster.chime in with your flight distance and opinions,thanks.

Tags:
  2. Jagerbomb52

Jagerbomb52 Moderator Staff Member

Intelite, I don't like and will never recommend fpvlr as he ripped me off and a few others two years ago. He is a lying piece of crap.
    You can try these guys, more expensive but you get the best.
    http://horizonfpvantennas.us/product/yuneec-q500-uav-full-kit/
    or if you want to run boosters buy them off of ebay and look around on ebay for some 5.8 & 2.4 antennas. Remember all Yuneec antennas no matter which craft your flying are LHCP

SKETCHY likes this.
  3. SKE

SKETCHY Member

I was hoping to hear from you Jager,Great I trust you and that's what I will go with.I,ve gotten 1500 ft stock not every time but my unit seems fairly solid just want to get the most out of it.I have my receiver and the two antennas now on the outside of the quad.Thanks Jagerbomb52

4. SKE

SKETCHY Member

Say these kits are unavailable and out of stock,just my luck.

5. tec

technicallyitsnotadrone Member

Setting aside the fact you don't like (Tony?) from FPVLR for a minute.

What do you think of the FPVLR as an antenna itself?

I found a great price of $47.99 usd on the basic FPVLR kit for our ST10+ from a site in the US This site lists a regular price of $129 usd.

http://rdmdrones.com/product/fpvlr-high-gain-antenna-kit-3/

I can't vouch for the fpvlr antennas or for this site but at $47.99 and considering they take paypal, I would definitely try them myself if I lived in the US. I live in Canada and they only ship to the US.

Shipping the itelite up here could cost me about $180-$200 cdn after shipping and duties. Thats alot of coin for an unamplified antenna imho.

Maxxuav.ca list the itelite at $139cdn but not the model specific to the st10+.

6. Jagerbomb52

Since he has improved the antennas from his first design they are very well made. They still lack overall performance compared to the Intelite. The Intelite work right out of the box where as the FPVLR antennas you will need the boosters to get the best performance from them. The antennas are way overpriced for what you get.
    This is the setup I run. Other than the cost of the boosters my antennas cost less than half the price as Tony's and work just as good if not better. You can buy all the parts on ebay cheap.tha 20160201_162237.jpg

7. tec

Will the antennas in your setup extend the range a significant amount without adding the boosters?

Both the itelite and FPVLR claim an unboosted FPV range of about 4000ft

That would be a huge improvement for me as I've lost video at 300' on occasion.

I would prefer to keep the st10 as streamlined as possible and only add External boosters if absolutely necessary.

Antennas, I can screw on and off for packing into my backpack but boosters are more of a commitment

SKETCHY likes this.
  8. Jagerbomb52

Stock I use to average about 1800-2300 feet. The FPVLR antennas I had bought two years ago did not do much better, the reason I bought the boosters. The antennas I have now from ebay without the boosters I got out about 3600 feet. With boosters 2 miles.
    Never tried the Intelite but many claim 3800-4000. This all depends where you are flying of course.
    The Intelite was not around when I modded my controller but if it was that is what I would have bought just from all the good reviews that I have seen about it.

SKETCHY likes this.
  9. tec

3600' or just over 1km would be plenty for me! My main concern is having a solid FPV link within LOS.

I'll look up the antennas in your setup on ebay. I'm still tempted by the itelite because the install is so clean looking but the price is putting me off.

I still have a couple of months to procrastinate before it warms up!

Thanks for all the great information!

SKETCHY likes this.
  10. SKE

SKETCHY Member

Thanks for all your great input guys.I actually just pulled the stock 5.8 antenna out of my 4k camera and mounted it on the outside with one small Notch half an inch from center and a little double-sided tape to hold it in place and flew 2000 feet out at 400 foot high with no video loss.I am now looking at the circular wireless SPW58 and SW58 antennas that have great reviews.heres some mod pics of my Chroma,2.4 antenna is now outside as well. 1483205013230.jpg 1483205019815.jpg 1483205024181.jpg 1483205042225.jpg 1483205046743.jpg

11. SKE

SKETCHY Member

Have you done anything to your quad ? Or just your ST-10 ?

12. Jagerbomb52

No I decided on this one I was going to leave the quad stock because I do run a GoPro knock off on it as well so I did not want to have external antennas all over the place.
    The distance I get its not needed anyways.

SKETCHY likes this.
  13. SKE

SKETCHY Member

Yeah that's plenty of I get close to that with my Chroma I,LL be psyched.Thanks again Jager !!

14. SKE

SKETCHY Member

This is a great deal and with the sunhans boosters I,m seeing all sorts of Utube vids of guys getting 10000 ft,sold.

15. Lawrence

Lawrence Active Member

I'm not clear on how you hold the camera antenna in place but this looks interesting.

16. Nei

Neil O'Rourke New Member

Seconded. Can you give a few more details of this modification?

17. SKE

SKETCHY Member

So you have the 4w booster on the 5.8 side?and 2w on the 2.4 side ?

18. Jagerbomb52

Both boosters ar 2 Watt.

SKETCHY likes this.
  19. Jagerbomb52

The front face plate comes off. The antenna is right there. Remove it from the slot it sits in and drop it down the front side. The cover needs a hole\groove for the coax wire to run through. This allows you to put the cover back on. The benefits of this little mode are questionable. I also wonder by moving the antenna outside of the camera casing if you might be making the camera unbalanced.
    MrBurns was the first guy I saw do this. Not sure if he still has it that way.

Lawrence likes this.
  20. SKE

SKETCHY Member

There was just enough cable on the antenna to get it outside the camera and then I use like a quarter inch piece of 3M tape to stick it and then another piece to pin it down.I,LL post a pic when I get home.

Lawrence likes this.