Raw files

Discussion in 'C-GO4' started by Stephane, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Ste

Stephane New Member

Hi,
    I have just purchased a CG04 camera, and The RW2 files ( Raw) from the camera are impossible to be opened by Any Raw converter in the market (lightroom, camera Raw or even capture one...)
    I am professional photographer and use sometimes the GH4 and rw2 files are always working fine, but the rw2 files from the cg04 are not working.

I am waiting for some help with this technical issue
    Best regards

2. ^pomen_GTR^

^pomen_GTR^ Active Member

mrburns likes this.
  3. Ste

Stephane New Member

Thank you for your answer, but the issue is specific to the RW2 files from the CG04, the rw2 files from the gh4 are working perfectly with all software whereas the ones captured With the yuneec CG04 just can't be opened, And i tried with another CG04 in the shop, (to be sure the issue was not only occuring with my own camera), and the rw2 files cant be opened either...

4. Jagerbomb52

Jagerbomb52 Moderator Staff Member

Stephane
    Could you zip up one of the rw2 files and uploaded here so I can play around with it? Not saying I can come up with a solution but I just might get lucky :)

5. Denis56

Denis56 Active Member

Hi colleague,

I am a French photo journalist ;-)

RW2 RAW format from Panasonic:
    Description:
    Uncompressed RAW photograph taken with a digital camera. It stores image information exactly how it was captured by the camera sensor, with no compression or color adjustment.
    Benefits:
    Not processed in any ways and it gives more flexibility to correct any problems of color balance, exposure etc.
    Drawbacks Large size. not many programs handle it

LUMIX RAW Codec software download:
    http://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com/support/global/cs/dsc/download/raw/

Help! How to Convert RW2 files in dpreview.com forum:
    http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/2920248

Contenta converter soft. :
    Contenta converter is an example of software to convert this type of files (for Mac OS or Windows plateforme):
    http://www.contenta-converter.com/encyclopedia/rw2_files.php

I don't try it but it seems nice ;-)

Enjoy ;-)

6. Jagerbomb52

Denis56
    I wish he would post a file here so we could play with it.
    I really don't think he wants a program to convert it but rather he wants to be able to open it like any other raw file to adjust to his preference. I thought about converting it also but you will lose the raw file advantage if you do.
    It might be something like the MP4 files that yuneec uses and if you try to open them in GoPro studio you can't unless you use a program like Avidemux. Maybe Yuneec has there own Rw2 (RAW) file format.

7. Ste

Stephane New Member

Hello, yes, the answer of denis56 is very kind and i agree with this description of raw files, but you perfectly understand the problem jagerbomb52 : i am not trying to convert the file, i want to be able to open the RW2 file produced by the CG04 exactly like i do with a NEF file from nikon, a CR2 from canon, or the RW2 from panasonic, BUT the ones from the CG04 are impossible to open, so if i have to convert the file before working on it i loose all the benefits of the RAW file…
    So here is a RW2 file produced by the CG04 camera :

http://we.tl/c4rEhmVP0g

(i tried with 2 different CG04 and same problem with both of them)

After hours trying with the bests raw converters (lightroom, camera raw, focus, capture one and more, i only found a way with the new "Affinity photo" but it opens a completely weird corrupted file, with only red channel pixels… so if you found a way to open it, you re VERY LUCKY ( or genius ;-) thank you anyway

8. mrburns

mrburns Moderator Staff Member

Very nice picture, of your kitchen etc.

Unfortunately although I can open it, it changes after a second or two to a red tone image.

I opened it in cyberlinks photo director 6 and powerdvd 15

Snap2.png Snap1.png

9. Ste

Stephane New Member

thanks for your answer, this is interesting, yes, its the same for me, i can only open it in a "non professional photo editor" but the image is directly red like that, i really don't understand why none of the Professional software for editing raw files, used by most of photographers in the world, just can't open the RW2 files from the CG04… it is very strange because that would mean the CG04 can't produce raw files for photographers, i just can't believe it!!! I hope i ll find a way very soon, otherwise i will have to change my new CG04 (since i really need the use of RAW files for my job) and go for another camera, but i will not be happy about that, because i really like this product!!

10. ^pomen_GTR^

^pomen_GTR^ Active Member

yeap..able to open the image in cyberlink power director (vid editor software actually) the photo appear ok...

but on picasa it turns red after opening

11. Jagerbomb52

I had some success with a freeware program.
    Untitled-1.jpg Y4700002.jpg Untitled-1.jpg

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
  12. Denis56

Denis56 Active Member

Hi,

A Codec compatibility in question ?
    Normaly, RAW softwares have to integrate the new files formats and new devices, optical (for optical corrections), regular by updates in order to process them. The best would be to ask to the technical assistance of the software publisher...Is it the last updated version of the software ?

13. Ste

Stephane New Member

Yes you're right, i checked it to be sure, but i have the last updated versions of the softwares (lightroom, camera raw, phocus or C1) it's a good idea, i will ask for that, but since yuneec says : " the CG04 is a true GH4 camera" the files produced should be the same than the GH4, no?

14. Denis56

Denis56 Active Member

Hi,

An hypothesis. It is possible that the RAW file is not recognized by the software as a file from a Panasonic Lumix GH4 camera. Therefore, it can't identify the codec and it will not open correctly .... even if the hardware is similar to an lighten GH4 camera for the CGO4.

15. mrburns

I also logged it with Yuneec this morning as this is a major thing for a professional who pays £5000 for a machine.

Needs a resolution very quickly.

Stephane and Denis56 like this.
  16. Ste

Stephane New Member

hi there,
    Thanks to all of you who helped me with this issue. I'm afraid there is no way at the moment to edit the raw files of the CG04 in softwares like lightroom, camera raw, capture one, phocus…) for information i asked the technical support of Yuneec, and i just received this answer from yuneec Europe :

Dear Mr. ,
    we already noticed this issue and working hard on a solution.
    Please excuse the inconvenience.

17. Ste

Stephane New Member

Hi, For information i have been in contact several times with the technical support of yunnec, and they gave me very good informations each time i ask for, very quickly. The shop where i bought the drone also had them on phone (even in the week-end!!) and they answered to him that they are working to solve the issue, and that it would be very quick (approx 10 days according to him) . It is rare to have such a good and quick support for a brand when you have an issue so i think it good to notice. My choice was to switch for the other gimbal but i will wait for a few days, the CG04 is brand new, and i have put trust in yuneec to solve this very quickly, my mind is it is worth waiting a few days since the H920+CG04 integration is really great…

mrburns likes this.
  18. Sil

Silentwitness New Member

I have also discovered this problem today. Lightroom, PS and Bridge all upto date and able to handle standard GH4 files, but unable to open the CG04 files. I have been in contact with Yuneec UK and they have requested a raw file which I have sent over. Stephane as you say I am impressed with the rapid reply and am hoping they get this sorted, along with some sort of exposure display for manual shooting. I'm very surprised there is no histogram as it's great being able to alter the settings in the air, but if you can't see the result of that change what is the point! I am edging towards the GB603 and standard GH4, but I'm hoping that this will soon be resolved so hanging on for now.

Stephane likes this.
  19. mrburns

All,

I have just been notified by Yuneec that you can use FS Image viewer to view and edit the RW2 files. You can also link this to an external editor.

You can get the free download from here.

http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDownload.htm

This is a temporary solution and I guess Yuneec will advise when all is corrected permanently.

Stephane likes this.
  20. Sil

Silentwitness New Member

Yes, received the same info today. Unfortunately Faststone is PC only and I use Macs.

Stephane likes this.