Q500 Remote control stopped working and crashed drone. How to recalibrate camera?

Discussion in 'Q500/Q500+/Q500 4K/Typhoon G' started by evanp127, Oct 10, 2017.

1. evanp127

evanp127 New Member

Oct 10, 2017
    Male
    I took it out a couple of weeks ago and the controls messed up and I tried going forward and it did nothing. I tried going backwards and it went forward and it drifting towards a tree and fell about 15 feet onto grass.

I tried attaching the camera to the handheld mount and it really crooked. I haven't flown since the incident, it gives me a weird color sequence (that's for another post) when I turn on the drone.

What steps do I need to take to get my camera to be realigned?

2. Wingshooter

Wingshooter Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2015
    Male
    Outdoor Recreation Supervisor
    East Tennessee, USA
    The camera should be sitting level when you apply power to it and don't move it until it is initialized. Otherwise it might have been damaged in the crash and that is the reason it is crooked.

3. Jagerbomb52

Jagerbomb52 Guest

Did one of the vibration balls come out of the top & bottom plate?

4. evanp127

evanp127 New Member

Oct 10, 2017
    Male
    I'll try that

5. evanp127

evanp127 New Member

Oct 10, 2017
    Male
    Who all them are there and hooked up properly

6. HarveyH54

HarveyH54 Active Member

My Cgo3 4k camera gimbal died, just from tipping forward on a rough landing (uneven ground). The camera itself works fine, just none of the gimbal motors, and no tilt. It's dead on the Q500, and on the Steady Grip. Even tried a new, and never used cable. Has to be getting power, since there are only three wires, and the camera work. Haven't opened it up, wanted to find some detailed photos of the boards first, but never found any.

7. evanp127

evanp127 New Member

Oct 10, 2017
    Male

Any idea how to fix it or how much it would cost?

8. HarveyH54

HarveyH54 Active Member

Repairs seem to start at $85, and go up from there. Wouldn't go cheap on the shipping either, since a new replacement camera is in the $500 range. I bought a Q500+ for $429, but it's the CG02 camera, which I'm fine with. I caught a CG03 4K on Woot! for $199 a while back, but haven't flown it yet, just hooked it up on the Steady Grip, to make sure it works. Came with aluminum case, matches the Q500+ case, and Steady Grip with rechargeable battery.

I'd like to fix the broken gimbal, but need some direction, or better pictures, before I go poking around in there. Really not sure what I could do, the boards are small, wires are thin, and seem like it's all packed in there pretty tight. Little concerned, I'd route the wires bad, pinch one or more in half, or just break it off inside the insulation. Don't really have the tools or skills to work on such small scale electronics. I'd have to be real sure what needs done, before even attempting.

Think the camera is a weak point for these quads, expensive, and only work with Yuneec. Using other cameras, you lose functionality. You can get the live video, if you have the right model, but you can't start/stop video in flight, or snap photos, need the MK58 downlink. Just seems like Yuneec could have saved a lot of headaches, and cost, by going with open option cameras. Camera breaks, they can off load the repairs on the camera maker. Cameras would be less expensive, do to market competition. Replacing the camera, costing more, than replacing the drone, just doesn't make sense to me.

9. evanp127

evanp127 New Member

Oct 10, 2017
    Male

Do I send it in to the company itself? I haven't flown my drone since the incident and need to resolve the light issue on it since its not responding to my remote control.