Return to Home Failure

Discussion in 'Help' started by Jason Litton, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Jason Litton

Jason Litton New Member

Jun 25, 2019
    Male
    Hi guys!
    Thanks for having me.
    On two different occasions (with thick tree cover) I have disconnected at a distance of about 1800ft. These were two different locations at two completely different times. The drone (Typhoon H) never returned to land. On both occasions, I had to walk into range to get where I could bring it home. What happened? Why didn’t it return on it’s on?

Sent from my iPhone using Yuneec-Forum.com

2. WTFDproject

WTFDproject Active Member
    Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    #2 WTFDproject, Jun 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
    When you say "disconnected", do you mean you lost control signal, or you lost video signal?

If all you lost was video, you can fly the TH back into range by moving the right stick in the direction indicated by the green arrow on the screen. Note this only works in "Angle Mode". First, of course, get enough altitude to clear anything that may be in your path.

3. Jason Litton

Jason Litton New Member

Jun 25, 2019
    Male
    I mean complete disconnect. No control, no video, no telemetry.

4. WTFDproject

Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    Interesting. The control and the video are two completely separate WiFi systems, If you are losing both control and video at the same time, it sounds like a "common cause" failure. It's possible the issue is in either the drone OR in the controller. Since the drone is not initiating auto return home, however, it suggests a controller issue. I.e.. The drone is still seeing the controller, but does not know the controller can't see it.
    Have you recently made any changes to the controller?
    Have you done anything to either the drone or the controller since a time before the problem began?
    There is also the possibility of a local environment effect. Were you in the same area at each occurrence?

5. Jason Litton

Jason Litton New Member

Jun 25, 2019
    Male
    I do feel like the drone says it’s ready before it actually is.
    I installed Argtek range extender antennas and SpiroNet 8dbi for video out of the box and most recently installed UAV Toolbox. But that’s all.
    The video does start glitching out first before the screen locks up and goes out.

6. WTFDproject

Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    It sounds at least possible that the combination of antennas you installed resulted in an unintended, coincidental range match between the video and the control. Normally, control is good a LOT further out than the video, and that is a big safety factor. It allows you to fly the drone back into video range by following the green arrow.
    Ranges vary according to location. 1800 feet is way beyond what I get locally for video. However, I don't know my control range, I've not challenged it. Can you estimate how much increased distance came from your installation? Do you happen to know what your original control range was? (Not factory estimate.)
    You may have to account for this coincidental loss in planning your flights, and it's going to be hard to plan. Effective distance varies between locations and in different weather.
    I THINK the drone can still see the controller. If so, it means you should be able to increase altitude, then trigger RTH manually to bring it back into range. But that sounds really risky. If it goes somewhere else, you will have NO CLUE where. Safest thing is stay in range, of course. Next best thing is exactly what you did, YOU move towards the drone until signal is re-acquired.
    For testing, it might be a good idea to return video to OEM configuration, and make sure it cuts out first. You are sort of in a blind spot in evaluating this mod. There is no real way to know how your equipment is reacting to the mods, except finding out the hard way.
    How committed are you to the mod? Returning both signals to OEM might be worth considering if your flights do not really require the mod.

javier lopez vaamonde likes this.
  7. Jason Litton

Jason Litton New Member

Jun 25, 2019
    Male
    Well, I have somewhat of a fleet of drones that I use this mod on. I’m never looking for big max range as much as strong signal. I don’t feel like there is any reason to fly further than 3000ft ever.
    I am a part 107 pilot and do have to get down low sometimes to get certain shots. The H is no exception as I have a very narrow field of view lens on the camera (8.25mm).
    I know that the factory antennas would not get me where I need to be all of the time. I would like to experiment with combinations of things in an open field however to see what works best.
    My problem is trust. It has failed to return on two various occasions therefore lost my trust. It also had a compass malfunction one time but that was caused by battery magnetic interference and remedied by placing the compass/gps in a tower. I just want to gain trust in the aircraft again. Too much $$$$ in it to be unproductive.

8. WTFDproject

Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    It sounds like you have the right ideas, and the experience to use them. Take care, and I hope you find the right combination. The odd thing is that the 2.4 gHz seems to be weak on the receiving end. Maybe take a second look at the connectors in the controller?

Jason Litton likes this.
  9. Jason Litton

Jason Litton New Member

Jun 25, 2019
    Male
    Well my thoughts are:
    There were trees obstructing the connection
    I purposely put a better video antenna than signal antennas on the St16
    And it may have very well returned if I had flipped the switch and waited but now I’ll never know.
    I’m sure somewhere down the line it comes down to user error.

10. WTFDproject

Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    [QUOTE="I’m sure somewhere down the line it comes down to user error.
    Sent from my iPhone using Yuneec-Forum.com[/QUOTE]
    I don't call that user error. It was a plan, a weakness was noted, and can now be corrected. I call that learning. At least the lesson was not expensive this time.