Rnlcomp's build

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rnlcomp, Apr 23, 2016.

1. Rnlcomp

Rnlcomp Active Member

I know, but I'm not grounded, have several other quads including another Q500. :)

2. Michael Wood

Michael Wood Member

Is this a kit where you take all the components of the q500 and rebuild it on this frame? Pretty cool looking kit. Can't wait for more pictures and info! Oh, that box was ridiculous!! Look like your worst enemy got a hold of it. :0

3. Rnlcomp

Rnlcomp Active Member

4. ^pomen_GTR^

^pomen_GTR^ Active Member

since my Q4K crashed and burnt* (nope kidding) just crashed and broken airframe....been looking for much better custom cheap frame.....

and found this badass:

[​IMG]

in this web: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...on_Fiber_Umbrella_Folding_Quadcopter_Kit.html

what do you guys think? all i care is better frame rigidity, weight similar, adjustability (modular) so i can put whatever battery size i like,whatever motor and props combo i like while maintaining yuneec's board and flight control...thats all...also this frame also available with retractable landing gear combo

5. Rnlcomp

Rnlcomp Active Member

Finally got her back from Carolina Dronz and it's too damned windy to fly Grrrrrrrrr, I did launch but the turbulence was more than I could deal with so I set it back down, almost face planted it :eek: but managed a safe lg touch down. Also gave her a new home, snug as a bug.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Have some egg crate foam coming to line either side of the case for the tx and tools, chargers, batt's, etc, room for everything in this box blades stay on even. Soon as I get some calm winds I'll make a video of her in flight.

^pomen_GTR^ likes this.
  6. Rnlcomp

Rnlcomp Active Member

1st flight..... good. Had to land due to low battery warning.

2nd flight... DISASTER!!:eek:
    Damn thing started spinning then dropped like a rock. Busted the landing gear and ripped the cable connector from the esc on the right front side. No idea why and thank gawd the camera/gimbal are unharmed. Grabbed my other q to rule out the tx, and it flies perfectly. At this point I'm done putting any more $$ into it and will lick my $600 wounds, cannibalize it for spare parts and move on. :mad:

7. ^pomen_GTR^

^pomen_GTR^ Active Member

any idea why? what does the telemetry says?

8. raddbus

raddbus Active Member

:eek:. :mad: Sorry to see that happen. :(

9. Der

Der Stig Member

Looking at the video one of the props was running consistently slower than the other three props, my guess is that you either had a ESC or motor issue or there was interference due to shielding

10. Sticks

Sticks Active Member

Ge a hold of Frank and see what he thinks.

If you can - the ESC is not totaled from the cable being ripped out, hook it up to the GUI and see if everything still checks out.

11. Rnlcomp

Rnlcomp Active Member

Haven't looked at telemetry, wouldn't know what to look for. Just got this thing back from Frank and he test flew it before sending it back to me. I'm thinking that right front esc was the cause but don't know for sure, I hooked it to the gui and it's showing bad but the cable is disconnected due to the crash, I may order a new esc just to see but I'm going to let my wallet cool off for a bit and fly my other q. Also need to get some more practice with my 250 race drone.

Last edited: May 30, 2016
  12. Rnlcomp

Rnlcomp Active Member

Showed Frank the video and he can't understand why it crashed either, only thing I can think is that esc or motor give out on that corner which is probably why that corner hit first, the other props were giving lift. Anyway Frank is sending me a complete new frame kit to use for parts free of charge, just have to root out the cause of failure. You can't find customer service like that any where.

Last edited: May 31, 2016
    ^pomen_GTR^ likes this.
  13. DroneOrBoat

DroneOrBoat Active Member

Man I hate to make comments on other drone pilot wows, but here I go. Its a shame that Rnlcomp's drone took a flight dump. I hate to see that. I guess we all know it's going to happen to each of us one day or another. We are just bound and determined to spend money we don't have and watch it friggin fall from our control. Watching that last video on your second flight made me cringe. My opinion, and you probably not wanting to here this, is, Carbon fiber Blades. You change the weight with the new body and add high performance aggressive blades, maybe she just tried way to much over correction. Please don't take my comments as a know it all drone pilot, I'm far from it. I hate my Carbon Fiber Blades. (Aeronaut) I just don't fly with them unless it's a perfect day. And mine is all stock. (Q-500 4K) I do think when we make up-dates to an original frame, each pilot should consider small changes when adding on accessories. Hope I haven't made an enemy with Rnlcomp. You appear to be way more in tune with the drone hobby than me.

14. Rnlcomp

Rnlcomp Active Member

No problem, I am currently using those same Aeronaut props on my other Q500, it's not the props, the only thing I found using them is video recording in any type of windy condition makes it jumpy, other than that the bird flies fine, I will be using stock props for the initial flight testing, that 2nd vid you notice it start to pirouette then drop, I'm thinking the ESC on that right front went out causing the loss of control, I have another on the way so time will tell.

By the time my wife said oh sh** my heart had already fallen into my shoe as I tried to regain control but like anything else mechanical/electronic, it's bound to fail eventually. I'm ok with that. I'll be updating once she's back in the air, hopefully soon.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
  15. Rnlcomp

Rnlcomp Active Member

Well my suspicions rang true, the ESC caused the loss of control. Installed a new one earlier today and found more damage than I thought, besides the busted landing gear, that right front arm was splintered under the aluminum mount, thanks to Frank @ Carolina Dronz for supplying the replacement parts (they now have a lifetime repeat customer) and she's back in the skies. Currently uploading a vid of the short test flight (less the camera/gimbal) just to be safe and put a set of stock blades on as it was rather windy, more so than I like to fly in and sent her into the sky. :)

I'll update with the vid soon as it's done u/l, had my cell phone cam set to FHD 60fps so it's taking a while, but yeah SHE'S AIRWORTHY!!!! hot damn!! Next mod will be an FPV cam/650mW tx. Then retract landing gear. One thing at a time methodically and testing each new component before adding the other. Some pics of FPV and retract gear.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
    ^pomen_GTR^ likes this.
  16. Rnlcomp

Rnlcomp Active Member

Ok then, here's footage of a successful flight. She seemed to be a little more sensitive without the weight of the cam/gim which is not surprising considering it was calibrated for a certain balance over all much less introducing a lighter air frame. Very pleased over all!!

Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
    H2Oil, mikeroycollins and ^pomen_GTR^ like this.
  17. Sticks

Sticks Active Member

18. Motley

Motley New Member

I bought one of these frames from CarolinaDronz and it will be here Saturday, I am replacing a broken stock frame on a Typhoon 4K. Hopefully I will not run into the issues @Rnlcomp ran into, the ESC likely wasn't bad initially since it flew for a while but I will be sure to hook mine up and test everything before its first flight. Will post some pics/video here when done as well.

19. Rnlcomp

Rnlcomp Active Member

Any progress?

20. Der

Der Stig Member

If anyone needs one of these frame kits I'll sell mine that I bought from Frank. I've changed directions drone wise and now have no use for this brand new never used kit