Rnlcomp's build

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rnlcomp, Apr 23, 2016.

1. Motley

Motley New Member

Yep, actually I do have an update.

I received my kit and had a slight issue which Frank resolved right away, one of the arms was missing one of the plastic ESC spacers and the screw (had 3 of the 4). I was bummed that it was such a small piece missing that prevented me from getting in the air right away however Frank and his team did a great job of getting the replacement out to me quickly, they sent me a whole arm so I have a few extra parts as well.

I did get the build complete and have flown it a couple of times but I live in Colorado and we often have high winds. I am being very careful with it and flying in too much wind until I am sure everything is working correctly.

I did install the GPS slightly different than the instructions said. I mounted it directly to the underside of the top piece instead of at the bottom of the standoffs, below are some pics so you can see what I mean. I am considering 3D printing a mast to mount the GPS in to see if it increases the performance but not sure it is worth it unless I start to see issues and so far the GPS seems to work good. The only issue I have had with the new frame is it seems much more sensitive than before but not sure if the wind has been affecting my flights as well. Have you noticed any difference in how it flies? I am also including a couple of pics showing the typhoon before rebuild (with my decals applied, that was a waste of money) and one of the pics is a detail view of the damage and the reason for replacing the frame.

Attached Files:

2. Rnlcomp

Rnlcomp Active Member

It might be the weight difference making it seem more sensitive, mine is the same. On the GPS mount, I had originally mounted it just as the instructions said, when I got it back from Frank, they had mounted it above the top deck, whether it makes any difference I can't say for certain.

[​IMG]

3. Motley

Motley New Member

Yeah, so it looks like they put the copper sticker flat against the bottom of the top frame piece so should still be fine, I think either is probably fine as long as the GPS is blocked from the other electronics. I wonder if they wouldn't have cut a hole for the GPS if the carbon fiber would have been enough to block the electronics avoiding the need for the sticker.

Do you have any issues with vibration as yours spins up the props? Mine has a bit of a vibration until the props get up to idle speed and then the vibration drops off for the most part. I am wondering if this is an indication of a motor with a slightly bent shaft or something, another reason I am being very careful with it.
    I will provide an update on the flight characteristics once I have more time to fly when it is not very windy.

I am also somewhat concerned that there could be a motor/ESC issue since when I do the motor test using the GUI they do not all sounds the same and it seems one of the motors changes tone a bit during the test which to me indicates the motor is not staying at a constant speed.

4. Rnlcomp

Rnlcomp Active Member

Keep in mind that carbon fiber is conductive, without those plastic spacers it could possibly create unwanted stray voltage to contact the gps chip, the holes on the gps chip board are insulated, also considering the motors are mounted directly to the aluminum pods, it's expected to have or notice more vibration, they were on rubber mounts in the original frame, I wouldn't worry about it at all and 1 of my motors also sounds a bit different but it was that way before I replaced the frame.

5. Motley

Motley New Member

Yeah, I will watch the GPS and see if I notice any issues but I mounted it underneath the top frame piece with just the GPS antenna itself sticking up through the square hole. I don't think there are any contacts on the top of the GPS board so shouldn't have any issues but again i will watch for it.

I actually half thought of moving the rubber motor mounts to the new frame but it didn't see like it was meant to be that way so I didn't. I wonder if it would be a good idea or if it would help to add the rubber pads.

6. Rnlcomp

Rnlcomp Active Member

I couldn't get the things out, at least not without possibly tearing it. I don't think they would fit on the new pods.

7. Motley

Motley New Member

I was able to get them out and actually got one into the aluminum pod before I decided that it didn't look good and likely wasn't intended to be added. I would consider cutting the knobs off that fit into the holes on the plastic frame and just use the rubber "washer" part but still the fact that the motor mount only has 4 supports the rubber would still squish down between the supports. It would look kinda ugly if you look at them but maybe would help with vibration. I will update here if I decide to try it that way but not sure I will.

The one thing that I didn't like is the fact that the ESCs have to be soldered (both power and motor), I am not sure why Yuneec couldn't just make them pluggable connectors but it is what it is. I can solder but I worry that if you have to re-solder it more than once they may not hold up very well, especially the motor wire connections since you have to do a good job cleaning up the solder so you can get the wires through the holes again. I am buying a couple extra ESCs to have on hand in case the next soldering attempt forces me to replace it (like if a motor needs to be replaced), and to have in case one goes bad.

8. Rnlcomp

Rnlcomp Active Member

There's another forum member here that cut the plastic arms so he didn't have to de-solder/re-solder the motor's from the esc's and the 2 esc wires are supposed to be cut according to the instructions.

9. Upn

Upnorthwalleye New Member

10. Upn

Is there a reason that I couldn't just de-solder the motor wires right at the mother board and re-solder after running the wires through the carbon fiber tubes??? I'm also making this same kit(Just starting)...I had a Q5 4k that crashed and decided to go this route instead of buying a new Yuneec body.....Bird looks awesome!!!!

11. Rnlcomp

Rnlcomp Active Member

The wires from the esc to the motor go thru the plastic, you either desolder them or cut the plastic, you could desolder the esc wires from the m board but it's easier to just re-attach with wire splice or bullet connectors. Two completely different sets of wires. You'll see when you crack it open and start removing everything.

12. Upn

Well I just built the Zealheli Mod for my crashed Typhoon q500 4k....I booted her up and this is what I got.......any ideas???

13. Jagerbomb52

Jagerbomb52 Moderator Staff Member

Hook it up to the GUI and do a ESC assignment. Spin each motor over in the direction they need to go when asked and it should fix that peeping noise.

14. Upn

I tried that last night and got nothing. Will give it a try again....THANKS!

15. Upn

Have it hooked up right now and the GUI still says its Disconnected.....just sits and beeps that same damn tone at me.......GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR (I even uninstalled and reinstalled the GUI software....Dang it!

16. Rnlcomp

Rnlcomp Active Member

Did you connect the programming cable to the bird and a pc? Reboot and try again.

17. Upn

Yeppers...Have tried a few times. Even with 4 different batteries....The GUI says DQ'd on every time I connect to PC and turn on bird...Guessing it's time to tear it back down and recheck all connections again.....GRRRRRRRRRRRRR

18. Upn

just tried to bind to my RC and it doesn't even show up.....I deleted what I had and put back the Typhoon 4k....Does NOT show on the remote to even bind.....Something is NOT working.....got to say, it's pissing me off ....Took me over a week to even get this far since my damn back, neck and hands do NOT like my body ....Was happy to finally put the lid on it last night only to get that damn repetitive beeping......It's a good thing my sledge hammer is in the garage and I'm in the computer room............GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

19. Upn

I've tried to connect via GUI on 3 different PC's still end up with the same annoying beeping and NO connection from bird to the GUI........rechecked all connections and all seem solid....Just don't get it......damnit..........GRRRRRRRR

20. Rnlcomp

Rnlcomp Active Member

Hmmm, looking at both antenna leads, you will notice the very tip ends look like they are exposed compared to the rest of the lead, make sure neither one of them are touching the carbon fiber or aluminum frame parts, carbon fiber is conductive and could cause issues.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016