C-GO3 SD Card - Which card to use

Discussion in 'Camera's (C-GO2/C-GO3/C-GO4)' started by mrburns, Dec 30, 2015.

1. mrburns

mrburns Moderator Staff Member

From SDcard.org

Greater Performance Choices
    There are wide discrepancies in memory card transmission speeds depending on the SD memory card manufacturer and brand. Varying speeds make it difficult to determine which card will provide reliable recording of streaming content. Recording video require a constant minimum write speed to ensure a smooth playback. The SD Association defines Speed Class standards indicated by speed symbols to help consumers decide what card will provide the required minimum performance for reliability. There are two kinds of speed indications regarding SD bus generation:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Speed Class and UHS Speed Class* symbols indicate minimum writing performance to ensure smooth writing of streaming content such as video shooting. This is important mainly for camcorders, video recorders and other devices with video recording capabilities.

Speed Class designates minimum writing performance to record video. The Speed Classes defined by the SD Association are Class 2, 4, 6 and 10.

UHS Speed Class is designed for UHS** devices only and designates minimum writing performance to record video on UHS products. The UHS Speed Classes defined by the SD Association are UHS Speed Class 1 (U1) and UHS Speed Class 3 (U3).

* (Speed Class and the UHS Speed Class are not compatible.)

**UHS (Ultra High Speed), the fastest performance category available today, defines bus-interface speeds up to 312 Megabytes per second for greater device performance. It is available on SDXC and SDHC memory cards and devices.

SD speed class.png

SD Speed Compatibility
    It’s important to remember that Speed Class and UHS Speed Class are two different speed indication symbols for different devices. However, a UHS-I memory card may also indicate a Speed Class.

[​IMG]

The host device Speed Class requirements are minimum requirements for optimum performance. If your host device requires a Speed Class 4 SD memory card, you can use Speed Class 4, 6 or 10 SD memory cards. If your host device requires a Speed Class 6 SD memory card, you can use Speed Class 6 or 10 SD memory cards.

Fragmentation and Speed
    The memory of a card is divided into minimum memory units. The device writes data onto memory units where no data is already stored. As available memory becomes divided into smaller units through normal use, this leads to an increase in non-linear, or fragmented storage. The amount of fragmentation can reduce write speeds, so faster SD memory card speed standards help compensate for fragmentation.

The SD Association developed standards specifying various operating conditions for SDHC, SDXC, SDHC UHS and SDXC UHS memory cards to achieve the minimum speed according to the card's speed class. Speed symbols are provided to help identify cards that comply with these standards.

2. Denis56

Denis56 Active Member

Hi,
    I use this SD-HC card for recording the 4K movies or less and pictures with Yuneec CGO3 camera:
    • Lexar trade mark
    • 633x. Up to 95 MB/s read transfer, write speeds lower. Speeds based on internal manufacter testing. Actual performance may vary. x=150KB/s.
    • Class 10 card and I UHS speed class
    • 32 GB

[​IMG]

More informations:
    http://www.lexar.com/microsd-633x?category=5778
    http://www.lexar.com

I enjoy this product for this practice. I have two cards of this type. It is best not to delete files from your computer but from a camera or other device.
    There is no point buying the latest card capacity still very expensive. In addition, it is preferable to use several cards. Indeed if lost or writing problem, you do not lose all your files ;-)

I use 8 Micro SD compact cards holder from DiMe Card (Irish Dimedium Ltd manufacturer - UK) to secure, avoid forgetting or losing my microSD cards - US $ 9.95 with VAT:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

More informations:
    http://dimedium.com/

Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
  3. Charles R

Charles R Member

Good Stuff!

4. ^pomen_GTR^

^pomen_GTR^ Active Member

btw...what is the maximum size of SDcard for cgo3 and the st10+ can be fitted?

5. Denis56

Denis56 Active Member

6. ^pomen_GTR^

dangg...because i think i've read it somewhere stating thats the 32gb was the limit...and i grab kingston 32gb class10 U-1 sdcard instead.....but nvmd....i'll just bring laptop/macbook together on long flight

7. Denis56

Denis56 Active Member

Hi,
    I use 2 x 32 GB card for the CGO3 camera, alternately, and it's enough for me.
    Anyway, you are limited by the autonomy of Typhoon Q500 K4 bird.

8. Oht

Ohtaansalmi New Member

Hello forum,
    I got my ever first quad last week - the Q500+ and I´m superhappy! The weather and forestry surroundings of my house has limited my abilities to test it, but even those few occasions were truly satisfying.

This thread handles sd-cards, so does anyone have a simple and easy answer: what are the minimum markings on the card label and what gives best performance? This sd-card world seems pretty complex, and I would highly appreciate, if someone who knows could clarify. I understand, that 128 GB is maximum storage size and it must be speed class 10. But what about this UHS speed class? Do I even need UHS-classification? And if I do, must it be "U1" or does "U3" give better performance? Does these speed differences have any affect on FPV-capability? Why should I pay any attention, whether the card is labeled with Roman number I or II? Presumably bigger numbers mean normally something better (except with earthquakes), but my local IT-stuff store simply refused to sell me any card, before I figure out what I´m looking for.

Sorry about my clumsy English, but wintery greedings from Finland!

9. ^pomen_GTR^

key aspect:

128gb limit
    class 10
    U class 1 is fine to use...class 3 will be better
    writing speed (MBps) <- but class 10 and U1 is already in highspeed category...so no need to look more into this

10. Speed2004

Speed2004 New Member

I have been using Samsung 64GB EVo -they are class 10 XC I but claim 80ms/s read and 20MB/s write and I have had zero issues on CGo2 and 3 cameras. Got mine on sale last Xmas for $20 each. They are $25 right now but expect Fry's electronics to have sale at Black Friday.