ST24 Android

Discussion in 'ST24 Controller' started by Marsianin, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Marsianin

Marsianin New Member

Hi there,
    I'm the new owner of the H920 and I have some

First of all I don't understand why did Yuneec put such limited Android version on ST24 without Google Play Services? No way to install apps. No Play Store.
    Builtin RC Plane 2 app just always crashes on run. Never worked.
    H920 is great vessel but I see no reason to limit android in it's remote.
    I tried to install several versions of Google Play Services from apkmirror but all of them crashed.
    Installed YouTube but it will not work without Play Services.
    Installed Play Store - same as above.
    Maybe there is an update for ST24 available somewhere?

When I use ST24 in PAD mode and don't touch screen for some time it turns it off and no way to wake it up except by powering off.

2. mrburns

mrburns Moderator Staff Member

Check with your Local Cs as there is an imminent firmware update to solve various issues.

3. janjaap

janjaap Active Member

My Cs does not know about software updates.....
    any chance they apear here in the downlowdable firmware section ?

4. mrburns

mrburns Moderator Staff Member

Jan
    I would like to say yes but it is not always the case. :(

If we can get it it will be uploaded.

Yuneec do prefer that end users send the machine back which, as we know, is not what most end users want. They just want to update it themselves but it is not as easy as the G.

I am hoping the new firmware will aid updating.:)

5. Marsianin

Marsianin New Member

Send machine just to update it's firmware? Seriously?
    Do ever think about other countries where no service center available?
    For example I'm in Ecuador now and there it no Yuneec or DJI service centers here. No authorized distributors even.
    Got one brand new Inspire 1 2.0 with dead zenmuse camera from the box and now I have to send it to US.
    So sending drone to somewhere just to update firmware sounds absolutely not user friendly and stupid.

6. Ent

Entropy512 New Member

Because the ST24 and ST10 are such specialized hardware that there's no way Yuneec would be able to get GMS certification from Google.

For one thing, assuming the ST24 also uses a Spreadtrum SC8825, it's a very lowend chip and Chinese SoC manufactures are notorious for not updating their BSPs. The ST10 runs Android 4.0 for example - it would be a MASSIVE engineering effort to go up to Android 6 (which is the only way they'd be able to get GMS certification) for something that has little to no benefit for the way this particular device was intended to be used.

7. Methodus

Methodus Member

Hey there. Have you tried the X86 build of the play store? The ST16 and ST24 are running with an Intel chip, which is X86. Maybe this is the reason for the crashes.

Additionally, the Play Store requires also the Play Service bundle. You may try to find a package from the custom ROM makers like CyanogenMod etc. As these ROMs doesn't have the certificate either, they provide these packages for you.

However, in some cases you have to flash these packages into your ROM which requires an unlocked recovery mode. If you want to try this, I give you my best wishes, but you must be sure, what you are doing. If you ever flashed a phone with a custom ROM it should be no problem, otherwise it could be quite risky.

8. H2O Aviators

H2O Aviators New Member

Hit the start button to wake up the display when in Pad mode.