"Stagility" Mode on the Chroma: Alternate Flight Modes

Discussion in 'Blade Chroma Series' started by RonK95, Dec 25, 2015.

1. RonK95

RonK95 Active Member

Merry Christmas:

I tried the " stagility" mode (hold elevator stick all the way straight down and toggle the mode switch 4 times) yesterday for the first time. With the mode switch in "angle" (not "safe": which isn't) it flew great! Very responsive and FAST!

Issue, though, is that the ST10 throttle stick is "spring centered". This apparently means that at engine startup, the throttle is about 1/2 way up ... surprise!! The quad tries to get airborne ...

To achieve idle, you apparently need to manually hold the throttle stick all the way down. P.I.B. and, when landing, if you accidentally let the stick go, it throttles back up.

Altitude in "stagility mode" is controlled by the pilot using the throttle, letting the stick go brings the throttle to 1/2 so what may be worse than throttling up on startup or landing is throttling DOWN when you're airborne. For example if you are holding altitude with the throttle stick above the center position, letting go reduces throttle AND altitude.

Although my primary goal is video it's really not a big problem .. I can learn to live with the behaviour for the few times I'll actually use this mode but would prefer the "standard(!?)" behaviour of my Spectrum controllers in that mode.

I know this is probably a futile question and I'm asking more for curiosity sake than anything else, but is there anyway, short of dismantling the ST10 and removing the spring loading or binding to one of my Spetrum radios when I want to fly in that mode (... an even bigger P.I.B.), to change the controllers behaviour?

Thanks,
    RonK95

Experience, as a teacher, often starts the lesson with the final exam.

2. Mar

Mark Deschenes New Member

Does anyone know how the controls work in agility and stability modes? I also tried these modes and the controls are different than safe and angle modes. Had to flip to RTH to get it back safely. I would not advise using these modes without understanding how to control the quad but of course I cant find any info on what the stick movements do to the quad as none was supplied with the quad

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
  3. RonK95

RonK95 Active Member

Mark:

In Agility Mode (ST10 Mode switch in "SAFE") and Stability/Stagility Mode (ST10 Mode switch in "ANGLE") the controls (at least on my ST10) work exactly as you would expect in a standard Mode-2 Controller: Left stick: Throttle and Yaw (rotate left / right). Right stick: Forward/Back and Left/Right.

The thing to keep in mind is that in Agility Mode, YOU are in sole control of ALL the attitudes: No GPS altitude hold, no compass hold, minimal gyro stabilizing and NO self leveling. Unless you have a huge amount of experience in this mode, you ARE going to crash. :(

In Stability Mode, however, all of that works EXCEPT GPS Altitude hold. The Chroma will self level when you center the right and left sticks. You, however, must control altitude with the left (throttle) stick (UP = More throttle, DOWN = Less throttle, CENTER = 1/2 Throttle.)

What this means to you is that when you let go of the sticks, the Chroma will self level but, if the altitude you have attained requires more than 1/2 throttle, the quad will begin to descend ... maybe rapidly. On the other hand, if the altitude you want requires less than 1/2 throttle, the quad will begin to climb. At some point, 1/2 throttle and altitude meet and to land the quad you must manually lower the left stick (slowly!!) to it's lowest position. Keep in mind that unlike the "standard" modes, you cannot let the left stick go once you land and then reach for RED shut-off button ... it will try to throttle back up to 1/2 throttle. Instead, once the quad has landed, continue to hold the left stick all the way down and push and hold the red motor off button with your right hand until the motors shut down.

So to recap: In the "alternate flying modes" (see my earlier p0st):
    Mode switch in "SAFE" position - NOT SAFE AT ALL!!
    Mode switch in "ANGLE" position: everything works as expected but you must manually control altitude (throttle) with the left stick.

As you discovered, Return To Home (RTH) works as expected in all the operating modes.

Hope this helps.
    RonK95

4. Dronemangreenville

Dronemangreenville New Member

This makes sense. The first time I tried to land in stability mode, when I took my thumb of the stick to shut it down. It took off like three to six inches off the ground and tried to tip over. Some how with fear and a long string of oh shits i got it to land safely.