State Farm Drone Commercial

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HarveyH54, Mar 29, 2019.

1. HarveyH54

HarveyH54 Active Member

Saw this commercial the other day, and it made an impression I couldn't shake. I've had a few cracked windshields over the years, but never anything actually getting through. Had two birds hit the windshield, pretty hard too, not a crack, one was a pigeon, going 45 MPH, not a crack. Probably saved the dashcam of it, but not sure where to look. I realize the commercial is fictions, but I fairly sure there must have been some research on this, since there is such a negative view of our hobby. Sort of wondering why State Farm would do a commercial like this, since they also offer drone insurance. Obviously, flying a drone down a roadway would be a bad idea, for this reason, and probably not covered in a drone policy. As a pilot, I wouldn't do business with a company that demonizes a hobby. Just sort of seemed a little ridiculous that a drone could crash through the glass at all.

2. pixelzombie

pixelzombie New Member

Oct 24, 2018
    Male
    Those commercials are based on actual events and it is Farmers insurance, not State Farm.

3. NealJ777

NealJ777 New Member

Mar 20, 2019
    Male
    I think you mean Farmers Insurance. Take a look at this: http://bit.ly/2WyFHLN

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

4. Sureshot

Sureshot Member

Feb 21, 2019
    #4 Sureshot, Mar 30, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
    Farmers Ins. drone video notes:
    1) Hit the car windshield with a 4 lb steel sledge hammer.
    2) Hot glue a plastic quadcopter to the damage.
    3) Roll camera.

Since they say the commercial is based on actual claims, I suspect the real crash was probably a larger drone causing body damage.
    The drones on display look like drone insurance loss claims.

I personally enjoy State Farm's Mr Mayhem. (Shakey shakey)

5. DoomMeister

DoomMeister New Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Male
    I think Farmer’s needs to do a commercial with all the deer carcasses from claims for car/deer accidents and also post how many of those cause human fatalities.

There is no way any of the drones they show in that commercial did the damage as they show it. As Donnie would say “fake news, it’s all fake news”.

6. NealJ777

NealJ777 New Member

Mar 20, 2019
    Male
    Allstate Insurance. Not State Farm.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

7. HarveyH54

HarveyH54 Active Member

It's not really fake news, more of an artistic licence. They need to pack a whole lot into just a few seconds, just enough entertainment to grab you attention, but not pull the focus off the product they sell. I'm sure most of those 'claims' are exaggerated a little, well maybe a lot. But it's not meant to mislead anyone. Unexpected things happen, that's why you need their insurance products. If they cover weird stuff, then you should worry about the common accidents.