Stay with Q500+ or trade up for 4k?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bigdenver, May 25, 2016.

1. Bigdenver

Bigdenver Member

May 25, 2016
    Male
    Centennial, CO
    I have two days to decide what to do. I currently have a new 500+ and have flown it a small handful of times for very short flights. The case arrived damaged, and I have been waiting on Yuneec to take care of it for a month.

Knowing now that the Q500+ is now discontinued, I have the option to return this one, and pick up a 4k for less than $200 more than I paid for the 500+ a month ago.

The questions is, is the upgrade to the 4k worth it? Are there any differences really between the two other than the camera abilities? I'm mildly concerned about having a brand new "discontinued" product, and the slowness of Yuneec to take care of issues now. I cannot even get them to respond to me after the first communication with them three weeks ago.

My 500+ has flown well, aside from a couple of strange issues that seemed to go away on their own (camera not initializing a couple of times, tip over on auto-land, crazy spinning in auto mode that had to recover from in angle.). Many of these could have just been my inexperience with the Yuneec, although I have flown other birds without automatic features for some time. I'm really just looking for advice here, as my time is running out quickly.

What would you do?

2. Vailen

Vailen Member

Mar 30, 2016
    Male
    Professor
    New Jersey
    If the case arrived damaged, I would not hesitate to return the drone and get the newer version with 4K.

3. Bigdenver

Bigdenver Member

May 25, 2016
    Male
    Centennial, CO
    Yes, it seems like such an obvious answer... I just wanted some input on the issue. I have ordered the 4k and it should arrive soon.

4. Bigdenver

Bigdenver Member

May 25, 2016
    Male
    Centennial, CO
    I also notice a lot of issues with the 4k here. Follow me not working, motors not starting, a lot of cameras ripping out wires. Apparently they changed the mount? This was part of my hesitation as well. The 500+ has given me no trouble at all.

5. Maik

Maik Active Member

Sep 6, 2015
    Male
    There are no 'more' issues with the 4k than with the q500+. The 4k is exact the same drone as the q500+. And if you crash.... you have damage (like ripping out wires)

QuadBart likes this.
  6. Davidnclearlaketx

Davidnclearlaketx Active Member

Dec 5, 2015
    Male
    Texas/USA
    I own both 4K and the Q500+ and the Q500+ does do a fine job for me. You do have more manual control settings on the camera with the 4K so if you are going to get the whole kit with 2 batteries, steady grip, etc.. then go with the 4K. I've never had any issues either with the Q500+ other than having the camera gimbal tilt and sometimes have to reboot and/or do the gimbal calibration using the GUI on the computer and then it worked fine. With the CGO3 you don't have that GUI option to calibrate the camera gimbal.
    Kind of hard to decide but I guess if I was in your situation I'd be leaning towards the Q500 4K.

7. Bigdenver

Bigdenver Member

May 25, 2016
    Male
    Centennial, CO
    Thanks everyone I ordered my new 4k kit from Frank this morning!