Telemetry: ST2Dash - Loading Q500 flight Log Data to be used in Dashware

Discussion in 'Q500/Q500+/Q500 4K/Typhoon G' started by mrburns, May 16, 2015.

1. mrburns

mrburns Moderator Staff Member

// Mod edit

SmokenDevo pointed to this software in RC Groups, thought it might be useful to share it here too.

http://www.drohnen-forum.de/index.php/Thread/12303-ST2Dash-der-Flightlog-Konverter-für-die-ST10-Q500/

Original post: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=32090856&postcount=15057

Edit:
    English version: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=32093520&postcount=15064

// Original post by MrBurns

Hi All,

I found a post on another forum where the kind person (Chris Crash) had come up with both a Conversion file and a Dashware Xlm profile.

This will then enable you to use and synchronise your flight data with out any other data recording.

Don't forget - in order to collect the flight data you must have a micro sd card in your St10.
    Then all you need to do is
    1 copy both the data file from the flight log directory and the video from your Q500 to where ever you wish
    2 Load the Excel spreadsheet conversion file "Telemetry_log_additional column V3.xlsm"
    3 Load the flight Log csv file
    4 Switch to the conversion file and press the macro.
    5 Having saved the converted file this will then be used in the Dashware software.

Tutorial:

1 Download and install Dashware onto your computer
    2 Make a note of where the dashware\dataprofiles directory is located. Usually documents\dashware
    3 Download the csv file from the ST10+ sd card root\flightlog. File is normally called Telemetry_ *****
    4 If you have lots of CSV then you can copy them all
    5 Make a note of where you locate them on your computer
    6 Download from the forum the files
    a) Yuneec Q500 V2 - this is the xml file that you must place in the dashware\datprofiles directory
    Change the suffix when downloaded from XLM TO XML otherwise it will not work
    (this is a security issue)
    You will only do this once
    b) Telemetry_log_additional columns Version 3. This is an excel macro file.
    ( Macro automates the copying process for you) .
    You will only download this once

7 Now open the file Telemetry_log_additional columns Version 3 by clicking on it. Excel should now load up with the file in place.
    8 do same with the actual data file you want to use.
    9 Swap back to Telemetry_log_additional columns Version 3 file and hit the macro button.
    10 Swap back to the data file you loaded and save it making sure you save it as a CSV.

OK thats the main first run done.

Each time you want to convert data just use steps 7-10 ONLY

Now open Dashware and
    CREATE A DASHWARE PROJECT
    This will create a directory called Dashware Projects and will probably be in your document folder.
    Go to the sub directory that you created.
    Copy the data file that you saved in instruction 10 to here.
    You will also have to copy from your CAMERA SD card the relevant video file to here.
    You will then end up with a csv file and a MP4 file.

BEFORE YOU CONTINUE YOU NEED TO ASSOCIATE THE YUNEEC PROFILE WITH THE CSV FILE
    :) the next instruction between z only needs to be done once :)
    z)
    select from the menu FILE\EDIT DATA PROFILES
    USE THE OPEN DATA FILE that you put in your dashware projects directory
    SPECIFY THE YUNEEC Q500V2 profile from the dropdown just below the top taskbar
    you can press the test button to check if all is ok.
    Close the data file editor and return to the project start
    z)

Go back to Dashware program and load the MP4 file (right hand side) - then do same for the data file.

Now its up to you to play/sync etc. There are tutorials on Dashware site to aid you.
    Do not worry about Gauges as at the first attempt Dashware will put some gauges on thew project for you.

Please note

Should you have a number of csv files on your ST10+ sd card then you will have to consolidate them manually into one big CSV. This assumes they relate to the video file. Be nice if Yuneec would make one file automatically :)

Be careful.
    Once consolidated you can sort them by the time column or add them in the right order. its up to you.
    If you do not consolidate them then the data will not sync with the video as that tends to be in big time files.

If you have more that one video Dashware will merge the files.

Good luck. IT IS A LOT EASIER THAN IT SOUNDS.

However before you do that you will need to download these three files and follow Chris' instruction for the Yuneec Q500 V2.xlm (change suffix to xml) upload into Dashware

http://www.dropshots.com/mrburns/date/2015-06-01/11:09:34

That's it
    Happy flight analysis

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2015
    Tags:
  2. midego

midego Administrator Staff Member

Thanks for sharing this, from now on it is also possible to upload .xlm and .xlsm files.

3. mrburns

cheers; much appreciated.
    Would you like me to upload the xlsm and xlm files for simplicity?

4. midego

midego Administrator Staff Member

Up to you, I just noticed that it was not able to upload xlm and xlsm files, so I added them to make it more convenient for users :)

5. Max

Max M. New Member

I wanted to give it a try...
    Let's say it was not straight to the point, but with some mods it worked.
    Here is a test result for those who might be interested:

BigAnthony and Arbutus like this.
  6. JohnRMontQ500+

JohnRMontQ500+ New Member

Looks great! Thanks for the post.

7. mrburns

You only have to copy the Yuneec profile ONCE to the dashware then all you have to do is open the master then the csv file press button and voila.

It takes longer to do the Dashware loading than the csv bit.

8. Max

Max M. New Member

First of all, thank you MrBurns for publishing this solution.

Second then, mind it that's not so simple... if you happen to live in a country which uses commas as decimal delimiters (like me and I guess many others do), it's all but easy to get the whole thing working.
    And I had to tinker with Dashware too to get it digest the data file.

Last but not least, instructions would need to be updated as looks like they still refer to a pre-script version of Telemetry_log_additional_coloumn.... file.

All in all, it's good to be able to get telemetry on your vids the cheap way tho ;-)

p.s.
    I was reported it works with ST10+ only... no telemetry files get saved in ST10.

9. mrburns

HI Max
    Thanks for the feedback.

The Original solution was not mine but Chris' on another forum.
    I simply speeded the process up.

Also your right in noticing that it is only the ST10+ that logs flight data - you would think Yuneec would also update the ST10 for same.

I do not understand your comments with regards to the CSV file issue as Yuneec provide the file in that form any millions have access to excel or you could use Suns Open project spreadsheet program which is free. The source file is after all a csv file and can be manipulated by hand.
    to achieve the end result.

No the hard work is the xml schema that Chris constructed for the loading into dashware and also setting Dashware to your personal choice. Given that Dashware is free I think the scenario for all is highly promising for anyone who wants this type of information and its all free thanks to the labour of others.

Alternatively you can buy and install flytrex which has a dual role

JohnRMontQ500+ likes this.
  10. Max

Max M. New Member

Problem arises when you imported the csv file in excel as comma delimited.
    Once imported, all those numeric fields which have the period (.) as decimal divider instead of the comma (,) will be misinterpreted by excel if it's set with a locale which have commas for decimals.
    Even worse, it interpretes all those periods as thousands dividers, so you'll end up with a bunch of inconsistent and totally useless numbers.
    This is not the case, of course, if your locale have commas as thousands dividers and uses periods for decimals like US does.
    Yhis is where my headache came from. ;-)

11. mrburns

It's a good point but you can import csv and select the delimiter.

Once you have the right delimiter you are up and running.

12. Max

Max M. New Member

Uhm... maybe I cannot explain my point because english is not my mother language and, BTW, I apologize about that.

So, back to the problem...
    You cannot choose which delimiter you want to use when importing, as the file already comes out of the ST10+ COMMA delimited, so you either use it that way, or you manually substitute every delimiters occurrence.
    That alone would not help that much anyway, cause you should take care of periods too by manually swapping every commas and periods occurrences in the data file as a start, and then import the file in a spreadsheet as PERIOD delimited.
    And even if you wanted to go that way, you'd have probably faced more problems if the periods were used for more than the decimal delimiters in that file (let's think of gps coordinates or something else...).
    And then there are dates and times scrambled too (AAAA MM DD against DD MM AAAA)... too much of a work...!
    I found it easier to change my locale settings to US for the time needed to get the job done and then set them back to my locale.
    That's not a commercial grade solution, obviously.... so, if Yuneec ever wanted to sell us that file as a real telemetry, I guess they will have to take care of this issue beforehand.

Last edited: May 26, 2015
  13. timor

timor Member

My flight log file from the ST 10 is an .avc file and not a .csv file. How to import the file in Excel.
    Has someone a step by step tutorial mayby with photo's how to do the job?
    greet Timor.

14. Max

Max M. New Member

That's not the flight log, it's just a low resolution version of what has been recorded through the cam.
    It's useful in cases where you loose the copter and want to see what happened.... kind of a video log.

If you read the whole thread, you haw been known that ST10 does NOT hold a flight log, only the "plus" version does.

Here is a short tutorial about downloading data from the radio:
    It does show you the folders structure in ST10+'s SD card.

15. timor

timor Member

hi max, thx for your answer...i am reading also on rcgroups. it was not for 100% clear to me that the st10 doesn't hold the flight logs....anyway thx.
    I was looking for this info on the video. I saw you just posted one day ago.

Last edited: May 28, 2015
  16. bk_

bk_t New Member

Nice with tutorial video, but does anyone have a link/have the time to do a "full version" i.e. from beginning to end using dashware. From importing the files to your pc, what other files are needed, where to save them, how to get them into dashware and what to do from there to get the final video with telemetry.

For me it stops when I try to import the flight log to dashware. Maby pc's local settings? Maby not knowing how to import the file to dasware. Really dont know, and getting frustrated :)

17. mrburns

HI All,

Appreciate that the details for the all the above is bitty.

This is because the original work was done my Chris on the RC Groups forum and also it is on RC Groups.
    All Yuneec messages are on one long thread so its very very difficult to follow or pick up any info.

All the same info ends up here complimenting the Forum where the threads are simple so you might as well stick to this forum :)

Anyway I will spell out the process.

1 Download and install Dashware onto your computer
    2 Make a note of where the dashware\dataprofiles directory is located. Usually documents\dashware
    3 Download the csv file from the ST10+ sd card root\flightlog. File is normally called Telemetry_ *****
    4 If you have lots of CSV then you can copy them all
    5 Make a note of where you locate them on your computer
    6 Download from the forum the files
    a) Yuneec Q500 V2 - this is the xml file that you must place in the dashware\datprofiles directory
    Change the suffix when downloaded from XLM TO XML otherwise it will not work
    (this is a security issue)
    You will only do this once
    b) Telemetry_log_additional columns Version 3. This is an excel macro file.
    ( Macro automates the copying process for you) .
    You will only download this once

7 Now open the file Telemetry_log_additional columns Version 3 by clicking on it. Excel should now load up with the file in place.
    8 do same with the actual data file you want to use.
    9 Swap back to Telemetry_log_additional columns Version 3 file and hit the macro button.
    10 Swap back to the data file you loaded and save it making sure you save it as a CSV.

OK thats the main first run done.

Each time you want to convert data just use steps 7-10 ONLY

Now open Dashware and
    CREATE A DASHWARE PROJECT
    This will create a directory called Dashware Projects and will probably be in your document folder.
    Go to the sub directory that you created.
    Copy the data file that you saved in instruction 10 to here.
    You will also have to copy from your CAMERA SD card the relevant video file to here.
    You will then end up with a csv file and a MP4 file.

BEFORE YOU CONTINUE YOU NEED TO ASSOCIATE THE YUNEEC PROFILE WITH THE CSV FILE
    :) the next instruction between z only needs to be done once :)
    z)
    select from the menu FILE\EDIT DATA PROFILES
    USE THE OPEN DATA FILE that you put in your dashware projects directory
    SPECIFY THE YUNEEC Q500V2 profile from the dropdown just below the top taskbar
    you can press the test button to check if all is ok.
    Close the data file editor and return to the project start
    z)

Go back to Dashware program and load the MP4 file (right hand side) - then do same for the data file.

Now its up to you to play/sync etc. There are tutorials on Dashware site to aid you.
    Do not worry about Gauges as at the first attempt Dashware will put some gauges on thew project for you.

Please note

Should you have a number of csv files on your ST10+ sd card then you will have to consolidate them manually into one big CSV. This assumes they relate to the video file. Be nice if Yuneec would make one file automatically :)

Be careful.
    Once consolidated you can sort them by the time column or add them in the right order. its up to you.
    If you do not consolidate them then the data will not sync with the video as that tends to be in big time files.

If you have more that one video Dashware will merge the files.

Good luck. IT IS A LOT EASIER THAN IT SOUNDS. :)

Last edited: May 30, 2015
  18. timor

timor Member

hi, thx for your work....In Dashware I can see the Data Profile Yuneec Q500. But when i try to import the Telemetry.cv file i got this message....

Error locating required columns. You must map a data column to the required data running, time/seconds data type.

What iam doing wrong..Still....keep on trying until it will work.

19. timor

timor Member

hi, i add 6 colums to the colums 3.csv file but .....

copy formulas down the entire row section...?????
    Which formulas must i copy into the 6 rows...
    Its noy clear to me.....:(

20. mrburns

sound like you have not converted the original csv to the new one which has the 6 extra columns OR you have not selected the yuneec profile when you add the data file to your project. (there is a drop down )