This could be bad for our hobby

Discussion in 'News' started by HarveyH54, Aug 5, 2018.

1. HarveyH54

HarveyH54 Active Member

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...-attack-but-unharmed-government-idUSKBN1KP0SA

I couldn't find anything about what kind of drones were used in the attack, but most of the news story hint at hobby drones, not military style. Kind of got me concerned a little, our midterm elections are sparking a lot of paranoid cries from one of the parties. Last week, they attacked 3D printers, and plastic gun plans, which is really ridiculous. A plastic gun is going to be kind of dangerous to the user, and you need to spends some time learning to print, and do it well enough. There have been a few nuts, who have attached guns, flamethrowers, spray-paint cans for graffiti, fireworks for missiles, probably a few other things that slipped my mind, over the years. None of them really took off as something very many people have tried to repeat. These unusual uses for hobby drones is risky, unreliable, since the drones are designed for carrying a camera. You can do other things, but it's not easy, and the drone won't do it very well. You change the weight distribution, aerodynamics, one or more motors work harder, get hot faster. Battery will drain faster than expected.

It took three years before the politicians went overboard on 3D printed guns, got a hunch this drone attack will be the fuel that sparks a fresh batch of troubles for us. People with a will to do bad things, will still do them, regardless of the laws and regulations. The plans for 3D printed guns have been on the web for over 4 years, took a year before a test fire video on Youtube. You can't download the files anymore. Never knew our government had such control over the internet, only took them a day to block the downloads, everywhere I could find. Which kind of makes me wonder why they allow so many illegal activities, and websites the promote them. There aren't that many gun designs. Makes me wonder what else the can do.

Only two months before the election, not much time for reasonable legislation, and a lot of panic fuel to push anything. Hopefully, it only amounts to scary talk, and the usual campaign promises, that gets lost in more pressing matters, like spending lots of tax dollars, on climate change research.

Jas likes this.
  2. gnomad

gnomad Member

Nov 27, 2016
    Male
    BATFE flat states that printed guns are illegal and always have been, so that point is more media hype!

How much weight can a drone carry with the camera system attached for guidance? A few ounces? Not a big threat.

BTW many sources in the know think the drone attack in Venezuela was staged by the current president to drum up support. How could you miss by that distance?

3. HarveyH54

HarveyH54 Active Member

Could be right about the current President, they didn't explode very close to him, or anyone else. Seemed more like a show, than an intent to kill. Exploding drones, you'd figure they would dive right in close, maybe explode on impact. It's still a bad thing, rules and restriction only effect the people willing to follow the law. Already too many laws, and people still ignoring them.

I'm not sure about the gun laws anymore, but seem like folks have been making their own for a very long time. The only thing I remember was that you had to have a licence to manufacture and sell. Plans for making most guns you can buy, are online, as patents Having the information, is a lot different from having the knowledge and equipment to use the information.. Truly doubtful that a 3d printed gun would be used, for anything more than a test firing. The thought puts a good scare in me, just firing a single round. People doing bad things are going to want to fire more, and reliable. Commercially manufactured guns are easy to get, seems to be no shortage of criminals with semiautomatics. I grew up in a house full of guns, learn to shoot well enough. I don't own any guns, now, not many place to go and practice around here in Florida. Grew up on the side of a mountain in Oregon, could pretty much go out and shoot many places. Down here, mostly a gun range, which is kind of risky, if you watch the news. People getting shot several times each year, couple of fatalities as well. I never shot anything with a clip/magazine, and throw a dozen or more rounds, fast as you can pull the trigger.

4. gnomad

gnomad Member

Nov 27, 2016
    Male
    Monolithic cast 80% lowers are totally legal and in fact I have built several AR's using them. They are also available for pistols (Glock upper and 1911 upper).

The BATFE has no problem with you making your own, just don't try to sell them unless you assign a serial number to them and it better be a one off deal not cranking them out LOL.

I haven't heard a thing about shootings near gun ranges in FL. In fact that sounds like total urban legend news media hype. Here in VA there are some ranges in iffy areas and we have no problems at all. Heck who wants to screw with someone carrying a Glock or whatever on his hip walking out of a range? Some one with a death wish is who.

5. HarveyH54

HarveyH54 Active Member

No shortage of people with a deathwish, but the gun range incidents were accidental. 11 year old girl pulled the trigger on the last fatality I remember reading about.