Typhoon Camera (android app) with MK58 support

Discussion in 'GB203 GoPro Gimbal' started by Methodus, Jul 14, 2016.

1. Methodus

Methodus Member

Hi all,

so this is the very first public release V. 0.4.0 of my Android app called Typhoon Camera. It currently supports only a few things, so it basically is designed for MK58 downlinks first, as this has less features. The other cameras will also work but are currently limited to live video.

However, it comes with a sneaky digital zoom, which magnifies the video stream. I think it can be useful to focus on something.

Please be gracious with my work, as I work on it in my spare time.

Download at Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.denisloh.typhoonCamera

Comments are welcome. Enjoy!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
    hms likes this.
  2. Jagerbomb52

Jagerbomb52 Moderator Staff Member

Sounds good

3. Jagerbomb52

I gave it a try tonight and it would not connect to the MK58. It kept saying connection failed. It also would be nice to have a menu button to refresh the connection. My phone was connected to the MK58 through WiFi but the app would not connect.

4. Methodus

Methodus Member

I'm very sorry, that it doesn't work for you. Can you help me a little bit in identifying what is going wrong?

The splash screen shows you some information about the current state. Can you tell me, what it is showing? Additionally, what is the name of the Wi-Fi? Have you changed the default password?

Are you interested in the Alpha/Beta program where you will get pre-releases, which contains new features and bug fixes? I would really appreciate that, because I only have a CGO3 and need some support with the other cams. Thank you.

5. Jagerbomb52

Sure I would be interested in your Alpha/Beta program.
    I think I might know the problem with it not connecting to the MK58. The MK58 uses a different password then the CGO3. MK58 is just 12345678 where as the CGO3 is 1234567890. If the app is defaulting to the CGO3 password it will never connect. It would be nice to have a splash screen at start up to input a password.

6. Jagerbomb52

Here is the screen captures, as you can see it tries to connect but shortly after it fails.
    Screenshot_2016-07-15-08-51-45.png Screenshot_2016-07-15-08-52-25.png

7. Methodus

Methodus Member

Okay, thank you for your help. I will implement this.
    To overcome the splash screen, it should be possible by connecting to the camera wifi by hand as you would do with the official app.

My app should register that the current wifi is already a camera wifi and automatically move on.

You can register for the alpha and beta program

here: https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.denisloh.typhoonCamera

I already implemented the video and photo settings there for CGO2 and CGo3.

Thank you again for your help.

8. Jagerbomb52

OK
    So here is a short assessment so far :)
    The app connects fine to my CGO2 & my CGO3 cameras. Like I said above the app needs to connect to the MK58 password so it does not work.
    App has a setting Icon but nothing to turn on or off recording or take a snap shot.
    The zoom feature could be of use and works good.
    After trying to close down the app there was no place to click or reveal on how to close it down. Had to turn phone on and off.
    My Phone is the android LG3G with the most resent firmware.

Looking forward to your updates.

9. Methodus

Methodus Member

Great! Love to hear that. The life view mode is in full screen, so you have to swipe in the navigation buttons from below. Then, you should close the app as usual.

Would it be better when I reveal the navigation buttons when you tap on the screen?

//Edit: just to be sure: would it work, if you set the correct password to the created wifi configuration? (Go to settings --> wi fi --> select the MK58 wifi --> press and hold until the dialog shows up --> select modify network and set the correct password --> connect to the wifi)

Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
  10. Jagerbomb52

Yes for me at least the swipe did not work so maybe a tap on the screen would work better.

11. Methodus

Methodus Member

12. Halfblindrabbet

Halfblindrabbet New Member

wonderfu! im glad someone is addressing this issue, count me in!

13. Methodus

Methodus Member

Hey all,

I hopefully fixed the bug with the MK58 downlink. Sorry for that. The app version 0.4.7 is published in the Play store and can be downloaded there.

I added also some remaining camera features. However, there is still no switch between photo and video mode. This comes next.

I have also got many nice comments with new ideas. So, I am planning to implement a Google Cardboard feature and still try to find out more hacks on the CGO firmware. If someone out there has some design skills and could support me in creating a more thrilling app design: you're welcome :)

Important note: I have to admit, that the MK58 is not the best solution for the GoPro. As you will notice, you won't be able to record or control the GoPro in any way. It's because the GoPro has no interface for that and it never had or probably will have, I don't know. I hope you understand that, as I have no solution for that.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
    Halfblindrabbet likes this.
  14. Halfblindrabbet

Great work! I appreciate your efforts. I have 4 android devices, 3 phones 1 tablet. the phones connect to the MK58. the tablet doesnt see the MK58. any thoughts?

15. Methodus

Methodus Member

What model is your tablet?

16. Halfblindrabbet

valuepad vp112-10, android version 4.4.2, kernel version 3.4.0+

17. Methodus

Methodus Member

Can't find any specs to your tablet. Does it have dual band wifi? Does it work with the official app?

18. Halfblindrabbet

my tablet is a POS. just thought you might have an easy fix. thanx for responding :)

19. soulkeeper

soulkeeper New Member

can you please explain what exactly your app does?
    (typhoon G owner with hero 4)
    Thanks!

20. Methodus

Methodus Member

My app is an alternative app for almost all CGO cameras, while it currently supports the full functionality of the CGO1 and CGO2 and the MK58 downlink.

These features are "unique":
    - digital zoom of the live stream
    - Google Cardboard VR viewer via In App purchase (3$) (real FPV without spending 100$ or more for external goggles) (currently in beta program!)

I have plenty of more features in my backlog, so this is just the beginning.