Typhoon H battery charging

Discussion in 'Typhoon H Discussion' started by AJDroneOn, May 13, 2016.

1. AJDroneOn

AJDroneOn New Member

Nov 1, 2015
    Male
    Helicopter EMS pilot
    East Texas
    Anyone know if there are available connector adapters to use a third-party charger?
    I understand the included charger take over 2 hours to recharge the battery. Also, no provisions for charging more than one battery at a time.

2. SparkoRC

SparkoRC Active Member

Oct 9, 2015
    Male
    Surrey. United Kingdom

I had exactly the same idea but after looking at a photo of the battery terminals, I doubt very much there will be any connectors available yet, but once you Physical have the new battery and charger in your hands I think it will be possible to make up some connectors to suit, that what everyone did a few years ago with the DJI smart battery, if go ahead on deciding to get the Typhoon H that's what I shall be doing.

3. AJDroneOn

AJDroneOn New Member

Nov 1, 2015
    Male
    Helicopter EMS pilot
    East Texas
    Mine is scheduled to be delivered Monday. Also have 2 extra batteries coming. Just disappointed I can't use my high-end charger.

4. SparkoRC

SparkoRC Active Member

Oct 9, 2015
    Male
    Surrey. United Kingdom
    I think once you can check the terminals out you should be ok to make something up, I have never used the Q500 4K charger supplied I use a icharger 208B, but that was easy making up EC3 connector leads, good luck and lets us all know how you get on with what you find.

5. mikeinaz

mikeinaz Active Member

Jul 1, 2015
    Male
    bullhead city arizona
    from what I heard frank from Carolina dronz is working on a charger for these batterys I seen on facebook

6. Tecneek

Tecneek Member

Dec 4, 2015
    Male
    One of my batteries will not recharge. When I place it in the charger, the charger flashes, blueblueblue every second or so, and will not charge. ..before this it seemed to work fine. ..allowed the same flight time, etc. I wish I could use my own charger. At 100 plus dollars, I hope yuneec or the retailer provide an exchange.

7. sh44

sh44 Active Member

May 12, 2016
    I'm-a say....dang if Yuneec don't seem to be putting out more reasons to NOT buy one than to GET one! Jeez, don't they have enough negatives in their corner already??

8. 34Ford

34Ford New Member

May 29, 2016
    Male
    Quality tech
    North Carolina
    I received my H Friday and yesterday I tore into the charger, ripped out the connector and came up with this.
    [​IMG]

Davidnclearlaketx likes this.
  9. Jagerbomb52

Jagerbomb52 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2015
    Male
    Retired
    Canada
    Looks great 34Ford, would you care to share how its done for others on the forum? Parts need and such. Thanks if you can.

10. 34Ford

34Ford New Member

May 29, 2016
    Male
    Quality tech
    North Carolina
    Well it starts with unsoldering the proprietary connector in the charger.
    [​IMG]

This is the connector after removing.
    [​IMG]

They you need to solder the heavy gage wires and the balance connector to it. I made a quick housing on the 3D printer, but needs more improvements, but this is the way to charge now, more control.

[​IMG]

11. Jagerbomb52

Jagerbomb52 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2015
    Male
    Retired
    Canada
    Excellent

34Ford likes this.
  12. Der Stig

Der Stig Member

May 3, 2016
    Male
    Any chance you want to share the STL file for the 3D printer? wonder if we could print the connector if we could find a source for the pins and blades. Anyone have any ideas about that?

13. Tecneek

Tecneek Member

Dec 4, 2015
    Male
    My recommendation, is to use the entire charger base as the housing, but connect a switch that allows for an external charger. Do you care to share which terminal is for which wire. i.e., which wires are for the balance connector, and which wires are for the thick red and black wires.

Thanks

14. Tecneek

Tecneek Member

Dec 4, 2015
    Male
    ..only thing about this, I would not be able to charge 4 at a time with my external charger.

15. JohnL

JohnL New Member

May 25, 2016
    Male
    Hello all. Don't usually post in this forum but saw this thread and just wanted to mention that Frank over at Carolina Drones is currently in the process of putting together an adapter for the Typhoon-H battery. I posted on his FB and he confirmed he is testing the prototypes and it will be released soon. I have no idea what it looks like but I hope it will include common connectors (XT60, EC5 or whatever) on the main leads or even better just a pigtail that we can solder our own connectors to.

16. 34Ford

34Ford New Member

May 29, 2016
    Male
    Quality tech
    North Carolina
    I decided I wouldn't make these as someone will abuse the charge rate and possible burn down the house, or hurt themselves.

17. JohnL

JohnL New Member

May 25, 2016
    Male
    I don't understand. Are you Frank?

18. mrburns

mrburns Moderator
    Staff Member

May 9, 2015
    Male
    Leicestershire United Kingdom
    f you read the post then you will answer your own question.

19. JohnL

JohnL New Member

May 25, 2016
    Male
    This is what happens when one is drinking while posting. I feel like an idiot.

20. mrburns

mrburns Moderator
    Staff Member

May 9, 2015
    Male
    Leicestershire United Kingdom
    You are only silly if you spilt the drink while posting.
    Then that is a waste.
    :)

JohnL likes this.