Typhoon H gimbal. Security straps

Discussion in 'Typhoon H Discussion' started by jupio, Jul 3, 2016.

1. jupio

jupio Member

Hi
    Are there any records of how to secure the gimbal ( against tear off). Ive seen others with raps. But with my H there are no holes to lead the tieraps through.

Tags:
  2. Robert Brooks

Robert Brooks Member

Check out this one. Simple and effective

bcloudone likes this.
  3. Rub

Rubik New Member

Here's another option. Only mod is drilling holes in the rubber damper cover. This one will not restrict you from removing and reinstalling the camera/gimbal during compass calibration or servicing. The disadvantage is that it only protects from rubber damper failure, not mounting rail failure. Fortunately, the mounting rails are pretty cheap and camera is unlikely to fly off in mid-flight. What ever you do, do not restrict the free movement of the rubber dampers.

Attached Files:

4. Pat

PatR Active Member

No holes needed in the cover, it slips off the gimbal, making easy access to the top and bottom openings in the damper balls. Just lift the front and back of the cover off the gimbal with a fingernail or other small edged tool.

5. Rub

Rubik New Member

Pat, are you suggesting to eliminate the damper cover? It doesn't seem to have a purpose.
    Also, I recommend that if you use a line with a knot to secure the camera to the gimbal, apply some Loctite to the knot to ensure it doesn't come untied.

6. Jagerbomb52

Jagerbomb52 Moderator Staff Member

I'm sure Pat will have his own view on this but this is my view. The CGO3 has been around for a long time. No cover needed. The cover on the CGO3+ is suppose to be a dust cover. I mean really??? To me its is just fluff to make you think your camera is protected. In the two years I been running the CGO3 with out that fancy cover I have had no problems, winter or summer.
    I'm sure some will disagree
    Is it needed for the camera mount? This I am not sure of as I don't own the CGO3+
    Wish I did so I could give better comments :)
    Anyone want to donate LOL :)

7. Pat

PatR Active Member

I'm not suggesting permanent removal at all since the top of the gimbal is a massive dirt trap from props blowing up debris. I'm saying you have easier access if you remove it to do any work. If you use a thin security medium, such as unwaxed dental floss, the cover easily slips back on with no interference to the security device.

A drop of thin CA glue works better on a knot than Loctite.

8. Rub

Rubik New Member

CA vs Loctite. You are correct. My bad.
    Dental floss doesn't seem strong enough for a hard landing or crash, I've had both. That's why I found a strong but limber surveyor's line for the job and used it in 2 places opposite the ineffectual plastic keepers.

9. Pat

PatR Active Member

I only add security devices to prevent the camera from falling off in flight. The two pins it has are actually enough to accomplish that. I have yet to find a way to "crash proof" an RC aircraft;)

10. Rub

Rubik New Member

The only reason I do this is because I had the camera wires pull out of the gimbal slip ring once on a "hard" landing. That required a trip to Yuneec CS and a non-warranty repair. The rubber dampers and plastic pins had pulled apart. Not that hard to do.

11. Pat

PatR Active Member

We call that an "arrival" rather than a landing in the RC plane world:)

slfloyd69 likes this.