Typhoon Q5004K Camera emmitting sequence of 3 beeps and not centering on start up

Discussion in 'Help' started by yuneec troy, Jul 24, 2016.

1. yuneec troy

yuneec troy New Member

Jul 24, 2016
    Male
    I crashed my Q5004K Typhoon which resulted in a break in airframe near one of the propellers and the 3 gimbal wires being torn out. After changing out the airframe (extremely detailed procedure followed and all functions are working great), and using the included cable from the Typhoon to the gimbal, there is a constant, loud 3 beep beep beeps each about 1 second apart with about 2 seconds between the sequence. The camera can record and capture images, but the gimbal is continually twitching and will not stabilize.

Any advice would be great.... tried everything that I can think of and have looked through a bunch of forums and multiple web searches have left me stumped.

2. yuneec troy

yuneec troy New Member

Jul 24, 2016
    Male
    Also, hooked it up the the GUI and all systems came up green, I have good GPS, satellite, and wifi connection.

BigVin and Charles Ogren like this.
  3. David Hoegen

David Hoegen Active Member

Jun 3, 2015
    Male
    Photography specialty 360 Virtual Tours
    Dudley, MA USA
    Hello Yuneec Troy,
    The camera boots up and test a few things. The beeps are about .5 sec long and apart by .1 sec.
    These were created by disconnecting the wires to the sensor.

Error 1: b.b..bSlide risistor error. This controls (keeps track) of side to side.
    Error 2: b.b..bpitch & roll encoder sensor error.

Error 3:b.b.bbb error in camera have not looked to see what rhe device is or what it controls. Soon.

Error 3:b.b.b.b.b...b.b.b.b.b.bbb no ideas yet.

Unlike the CGO2 no error reported if there is a problem with the wires to the motors.

I have all beeps recorded and timed. Just not in front of me now. I will post them. I should have done this a while ago. I also made schematics of the sensors and wire locations to where they go.

4. yuneec troy

yuneec troy New Member

Jul 24, 2016
    Male
    I have attached an audio file in .zip format so you can hear the actual start-up and resulting camera error sound. Again, and help is greatly appreciated. Yuneec USA can only advise me to ship it to them and I am not willing to spend the time and money to ship it to them unless it is a major repair, or camera replacement required.

Attached Files:

5. David Hoegen

Jun 3, 2015
    Male
    Dudley, MA USA
    OK that's error 1. The sensor for yaw (left right) encoder is not functioning. This could be just a wire issue. You will have to open the top mount of the camera to access the wires. First removing the shock booties. (**** NOTE my CGO3 does not have the slide connection on the top. I plug my camera into the Q500 port) remove the top mount plate. Then the cover the the gimbal board. Check that all connectors are plunged in. If you remove the four screws you will find another board. This board checks the YAW of the camera. If it has a broken wire or plug fell out you will get that beep. Im uploading a video as i type showing how to access this board.
    Sounds and info. http://goo.gl/OQeFnX

6. brandonnacosta

brandonnacosta New Member

Jul 19, 2016
    I've had the same problem..

7. Jagerbomb52

Jagerbomb52 Guest

David can you cover on how the YAW of the camera works? Like does it YAW to the stick movement, where does it get its input from to turn one way or the other. The camera has to know the quad is in a YAW to move with it I'm I correct? If so what moves the camera, stick movement or something else?

8. David Hoegen

Jun 3, 2015
    Male
    Dudley, MA USA
    Sorry i seemed to have missed this.

Okay this is kind of a long explanation so please be patient. The camera itself has an on-board gimbal computer. In Lehman words the movement from side to side is monitored by the slide resistor [POT] that is mounted on top of the top motor under the main board. The tilting of the camera up and down is monitored by an accelerometer that is mounted inside of the camera body. The tilting of the camera side to side is also monitored by the accelerometer that is mounted inside the camera body. The accelerometers purpose is to monitor speed and balance [X/Y/Z]. It can detect after its first initialization if it is tilting right, left, up, down, and side-to-side. Most cell phones have the same type of technology [chip] in them. Using mathematical programs it can determine at the rate of speed if you Bank Left, Bank right, turn right how much to move the motors and which way to turn the camera in response to keep it steady. This all happens in milliseconds so that's how precise this computer works. The computer is the board that all of the wires connect to [Gimbal control board]. The camera itself is only powered by the gimbal board or the computer board. The camera can be powered by itself.
    Now as for the control on the remote or on the steady grip that controls the camera tilting upwards and downwards that is a signal that is sent to the gimbal board from the steady grip or the Q 500 on the third wire.

As an example of how the gimbal board processes:
    I do 360 panoramic photography using the cgo2. (I use the cgo2 because the lens information is documented.) Now before initialization I actually tilt the body of the q500 so it thinks the camera is level and after it initializes when I level out the q500 it allows the camera to be pointing more upwards so that I get more access to the sky.

The movement of the q500 is controlled by the joysticks which generate positive and negative numbers via [POTs] that are sent to a separate processing board. This can be programmatically altered to move the q500 via a program. This method is not anywhere near as accurate as waypoints. because due to wind speeds and forces and only having the ability to use time as a location. As an example if I push the the joystick forward 30 seconds how far will the q500 move. The problem arises due to wind factors.

I hope this somewhat random information help people understand how the camera movements are controlled and how the q500 movements are controlled. Please let me know. Then i will make a How-To video.

Dave

P.S. When you turn the Q500/grip it sends a signal [via the third wire] to the camera to start moving the camera. So if you tie down the q500 then start it up (PLEASE WITHOUT BLADES) and tell it to turn right you will see the camera move.

9. Jagerbomb52

Jagerbomb52 Guest

So short answer is if I move the stick left the camera will move left also, so the camera is getting input from the stick to turn left is this correct thinking or is there more to it? :) sorry for the dumb question but I needs to know LOL

10. yuneec troy

yuneec troy New Member

Jul 24, 2016
    Male
    Hi David,
    It's been a little while since I've posted on the issues I'm having with my Yuneec Typhoon CGO3 Camera. I have followed the video you posted, thanks for that, checked all the wires and connections, and there is no signs of damage. I did notice however, that the YAW Encoder on my CGO3 is different to yours, but the wiring is the same. I have attached pics of the wiring, encoder etc. and a video showing the internal lighting sequence that corresponds with the beeps.
    Any further thoughts on this error code?
    Anyone else with advise/solutions?

Attached Files:

11. yuneec troy

yuneec troy New Member

Jul 24, 2016
    Male
    Hi David,
    I just added some additional pics and video after following your instructions. Still no resolution to the error beeps even though everything looked in good shape.

12. David Hoegen

Jun 3, 2015
    Male
    Dudley, MA USA
    Thanks Yuneec Troy, I did find i made a mistake. The slide risistor in fact (on the CGO3) is an IC that monitors magnetic changes.
    So im going to investigate this to see if there is somthing that can break from the shaft.

Dave

13. yuneec troy

yuneec troy New Member

Jul 24, 2016
    Male
    Hi Dave,
    I hope there is a relatively simple solution to this because I don't want to have to ship everything to Yuneec due to there slow turn around times.

14. Kenneth Solomon

Aug 23, 2016
    Male
    In the picture there is a white female connector with two sets of red and black wires coming out of it they run up under the soft black plate that the main board cover tabs go under.. does someone have a picture of what these wires are connected to?? and what they do??

Attached Files:

15. erkin

erkin New Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    #15 erkin, Sep 27, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
    I have the similar problem I cannot understand. Camera functions (taking picture, fpv, video recording) works but gimbal not. I opened the shell and everything seems good, no burned parts, no broken sockets nor wires. It's just beeping like this: beep.. beep.. beep.. beep.. bip.......................beep.. beep.. beep.. beep.. bip bip bip. No any camera movement on the gimbal. Here the videos:

16. Spaceship Drone

Spaceship Drone New Member

Aug 25, 2018
    Male
    #16 Spaceship Drone, Aug 31, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2018

Thank you for the sound files you uploaded. The sound you have for your yaw code, in my case was for the pitch sensor.

17. Jay K MacGill

Jay K MacGill Member

May 12, 2019
    Male
    what's error 3?

b b bbb

18. WTFDproject

WTFDproject Active Member
    Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    It's the Yaw Encoder (sensor), which is located directly under the gimbal board. It uses three very short, very flimsy wires. It is easy for these wires to break off under the sealant of the sensor board. The first drawing will show the connector on the Gimbal Board. The second drawing is a pinout of the Yaw Sensor itself. If more than one wire is loose, the second drawing may help get them back in the right place.

cgo3 Gimbal Board Connections & Error Codes.jpg
    Yaw Encoder Wires.jpg