Typhoon ST16 clock problem....still

Discussion in 'Typhoon H Discussion' started by Marvo, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Mar

Marvo Member

Still trying to get the time right on the ST16. I've got the original Advanced model.... checked out a lot of sites, tried all the suggestions re correcting the "hour out" error but nothing works. Anyone out there had any luck getting the system clock to hold the correct time?

Tags:
  2. Tun

Tuna Member

I'm under the impression that the latest firmware fixes that. You cannot change the time on the ST-16 as it is synchronised with the GPS unit whenever you fly. It's up to the firmware to get the correct time offset (and any seasonal clock changes) right.

3. Dro

DroneClone Active Member

With the 3.01 update my clock has been giving time correctly

4. Mar

Marvo Member

Just remind me, when did the 3.01 update come out.... maybe I missed it.

5. Mar

Marvo Member

Hey D.C., just another off topic q for you.... I did some filming yesterday of a steam train.... was landing in the rail yard with a lot of steel tracks embedded in the ground on my landing spot when the H went "scatty" and strange... managed to get it down and kill the motors before any damage was done. In hindsight, could that be the rails interfering with the bird - gps etc?

DroneClone likes this.
  6. Jagerbomb52

Jagerbomb52 Moderator Staff Member

The date on Yuneecs web site is Nov 16th 2016

Marvo likes this.
  7. Dro

DroneClone Active Member

It is quite possible that the metal interfered, especially tracks as they are long and parralel. I have flown over tracks a few times, but never landed down near them. I know calibrating the Compass by them would be a no no.
    I would take your H to a wide open spot and do a short test fly and land, If it operates okay there, then you Theory is probably correct! Fly safe my Friend!

8. Dro

DroneClone Active Member

Drone Firmware
    Firmware Typhoon H STD V3.01Gimbal:v1.25, Autopilot:v1.30, Camera:v3.2.26
    Details

Controller Firmware
    Firmware ST16 Controller STDv03.01.b27

9. Mar

Marvo Member

Just checked D.C., that's the latest firmware I have... still can't fix the clock.

10. Dro

DroneClone Active Member

I am sorry it's not working, did you try adjusting the time zone to one that would actually be your time in error on the H? I did that and it worked for me also. Hope it gets squared away for you my friend!

11. Pat

PatR Moderator Staff Member

I just took a new H out of the box and selected my time zone in the ST-16. The time is correct.

12. Mar

Marvo Member

Great news, I'm very happy for you... however that doesn't help anyone out there to fix the problem.
    Where are you in the world?
    Are you currently in "summertime"?
    Have you turned the ST16 off then back on and checked the time again?

13. Mar

Marvo Member

Sorry for the delay Brett, yes, I tried to trick it into a different zone, but just keeps returning to incorrect time. I believe it has to do with the fact that you cannot factor in "summertime" settings.

DroneClone likes this.
  14. Dan Engelbreth

Dan Engelbreth Member

Also the "clock" for the video files is wrong too. All my video files are shown as 5 hours before the actual recording time. No matter how I try to set the clock on the ST16, it always reverts back to Eastern STANDARD time for the telemetry files and -5 hours previous for the video files. PS, I have the latest firmware on the ST16 and the H.....

So if my real time is 6:00pm EDT the ST16 shows 5:00pm and the video timestamp is 1:00pm..... is there no fix for this?

15. Tun

Tuna Member

The video timestamp is UTC as the camera doesn't really know what timezone you're in.

16. Dan Engelbreth

Dan Engelbreth Member

If the camera gets its "real time" from UTC presumably from a satellite, it should be 5 hours AHEAD of my time, but it's actually 5 hour BEHIND my time...... My video was recorded at 6pm EST, the video timestamp is 1pm not 11pm

17. Dan Engelbreth

Dan Engelbreth Member

Here is a screen dump of a recent flight with telemetry, jpg files, and video files from the camera SD card. This illustrates the timestamp error the camera has compareed to the ST16 clock and the ST 16 clock vs Daylight savings time. If the video timestamp were actually UTC time, in Eastern Standard Time it should be 2:55pm EST + 5 hours = 7:55pm UTC. However the video timestamp shows 10:55am - 5 hours before UTC time. So what is the logic for the video timestamp? And a jpg image taken at the same time on the camera SD card uses the ST16 clock for it's timestamp. ST16 Time Problem.jpg Am I wrong? or did the earth start rotating backwards recently?

18. Tun

Tuna Member

Good spot - I think you're right! It's always hard for me to test, as I'm in the UK, so effectively UTC for half of the year.

I thought you were referring to the timestamp in the video file itself (which is explicitly UTC) rather than the file system timestamp (which is... wrong, as you've shown). Hmm... must do some more tests!

19. Ty Felton

Ty Felton New Member

Formatt you SD card FAT32 NOT exFAT with a FAT32 formatter program off the net. It will fix the 5-6 hour off timestamp.

20. Ty Felton

Ty Felton New Member

I use guiformat.exe I don't know why but when it is formatted exFAT it is GMT. If you formatted FAT32 it uses the same time as the controller.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017