Q500 4K Unable to Connect to Camera

Discussion in 'Q500/Q500+/Q500 4K/Typhoon G' started by flying4401, Jun 9, 2018.

1. flying4401

flying4401 New Member

Jun 9, 2018
    Male
    Hi All,

Recently joined and cheers from Cleveland, Ohio.

I have been flying my Q500-4k for quiet sometime (under factory settings) and have noticed the "unable to connect to camera" warning message pop up on my controller on every flight. I dont use control of the drone but my display will freeze until the message is cleared.

Does anyone know why this is happening and/if there is a fix?

Thanks!

2. beachcomber

beachcomber Member

Jan 7, 2017
    Male
    If you're connecting to camera during initial turn-on and then loosing video during flight, I'll guess that 1) you're flying too far away and getting out of range for your wi-fi video. I can get reliable video out to aprox 1200 to 1500 ft before getting freezes. That's with only your controller connected to the video. If you have another device (like smart phone) connected also, then your range is reduced.

2) Or you're flying close to other sources of 5.8 GHz (wi-fi, cordless phones, etc) that are interfering.

If neither, then soulds like something is wrong with your equipment. Hope this helps.

gnomad likes this.
  3. flying4401

flying4401 New Member

Jun 9, 2018
    Male
    Thanks for the reply! It cuts off around 700-800 ft away. What is the normal range for the wifi cam? I fly in my neighborhood which is a suburb of Cleveland, OH. I assume many houses here have wifi etc but I thought the range should be better.

Any ways to improve?

4. HarveyH54

HarveyH54 Active Member

Your getting the same range I do, flying around my neighborhood. There are antenna modifications, but I'm doubtful they would be of much help in populated areas. A lot of competition for channels, and stronger signals always win. Most people think that once connected, it's their own private channel, but it's not true. Everything is shared, if one channel is getting a lot of traffic, there are delays, so it'll attempt to find a better connection, which might take a little while. We live in a wireless world now, even stuff on different frequencies can drown out weaker signals, or cause interference. It's all electromagnetic energy, antennas can be designed to be more responsive to specific bands, but they are still going to be influenced by everything else. Filters can only do so much to clean up the signal, before distorting the signal you want. Only way to get strong signals through, is more powerful transmitter, which why they are regulated, otherwise people would just keep bumping it up higher. You can look into antenna modifications, which can help in some areas, not so much in others. Probably not around town though.

5. gnomad

gnomad Member

Nov 27, 2016
    Male
    Put your cellphone in airplane mode or at least turnoff your Wi-Fi on it and try again. Also remember to keep the top of the RC pointing toward the bird, not vertical like many people do. Your antennas are in the top of the remote and need to be parallel to the bird

azbloc likes this.