unexpected company

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Jagerbomb52, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Jagerbomb52

Jagerbomb52 Moderator Staff Member

I had a unexpected visitor yesterday. A 10-12 inch Snapping Turtle.
    Not uncommon in Northern Ontario but very uncommon in my back yard [​IMG]
    He is a good mile from any water and I think he could smell my swimming pool water. He or she has been just hanging around.
    Took some really good video and pictures with different cameras but also with the Git2 set to colorful. Here is a few shots of him.

2015_0109_034304_001.JPG 2015_0109_034344_002.JPG 20160815_192510.jpg 20160815_192520.jpg DSC_0020.jpg 14064218_1195372483835656_6957945354555919962_n.jpg

Tags:
    midego likes this.
  2. Luke

Luke Active Member

A couple of years ago, a snapping turtle was meandering along a dirt road not too far from my place and I stopped to relocate the critter off the road. He/she would have been hit and killed otherwise as it was getting dark. I elected not to grab the monster (he/she was nearly as big as a Yuneec 500 4K) and I found a broom in the back of my pickup to use to "redirect" the turtle in a direction off the road. The ungrateful monster bit the wooden part of the broom handle and broke it into.

I promptly got back into my pickup in fear of my toes becoming snacks for the turtle who might have seen a Frito commercial and wanted some "Free Toes"...

I suppose snapping turtles ruled the earth at one time, until the Iron Age came along.

3. Jagerbomb52

Well this is day three for it to be hanging around. Did some research on it and they are on the “Special Concern List” which means the species lives in the wild in Ontario, is not endangered or threatened, but may become threatened or endangered due to a combination of biological characteristics and identified threats.

Seems this is the time of year they do their nesting, hope thats not a female, I would hate to be out with the lawn mower and start running over a bunch of the little ones. Yikes :eek:

4. Jagerbomb52

droner likes this.
  5. sh4

sh44 Active Member

I used to be a pro bass fisher, & one tournament on the tidal Neuse River area I had an encounter I'll never forget. Me & my partner tied off to some tree roots on the bank under some shade to take a lunch break. I was fishing a Texas rig worm, & before we untied I cast along the bank to see what else might be enjoying the shade too, & on my retrieve I got a hookup. Could barely move it, & at first thought I'd got hung on an underwater limb or something. After awhile tho, I saw what it was -- the biggest snapper I've ever seen - and it was a monster! We got the boat alongside it, and I could only pull its head up near the surface, & that's when I recognized what it was. Its shell was covered in moss - like it was growing from it. The length went back under the boat so didn't see it all, but I swear you could've set 2 basketballs across its back & had shell to spare. I used a boat paddle to nudge my hook out of its beak - no way I was about to put my hand in the water with that beast! That thing had to've weighed over 100 lbs, probably well over, and I fear for anyone who ever steps near it.

6. droner

droner Active Member

In my area (near Mississippi river) they go into the stew pot!

hf!