US FAA Registration Rules Announced

Discussion in 'News' started by MikeCaputo, Dec 14, 2015.

1. Rigo3T

Rigo3T New Member

Sometimes I'd love to live in the U.S... Free shipping, everything is available, no customs control (logically) within the country... But man, I love not having the government up my ***T all the time on everything. Can't fly here, can't fly there, not more than XX, not heavier than XX... Jeeeez...

However, I do understand there's a fairly good amount of irresponsible a-holes who have ruined it for all of you. I agree with flying safely, checking everything carefully and making sure your equipment is safe and you're fit to fly. However, now, as I can see, you can only fly in a park somewhere far away. No interesting city shots, or anything else, just grass and trees. (Good if you're into that)...

2. kip allen

kip allen Active Member

Rigo3T, I see your point. However I have been in about 15 different countries in this big world and I must admit that I can see good things in each I am always glade to be home. Yes we have our problems and yes I think our government oversteps its bounds but I still love her.

3. Rigo3T

Rigo3T New Member

Absolutely, I don't refute that it's a great place. I've lived in the U.S. on and off, in Lake Tahoe, in Portland and in Texas (Portland was my favorite though :D). I get why the rules are there, of course. I just think that part of the awesome things that we can do with these machines can no longer be done because it's illegal, basically.

4. kip allen

kip allen Active Member

Got it. I live south of Portland and I think there are way too many people there now. When we lived there back in the 70's it was bad enough but now it is imposable to get around. Just saying. But they do have great restaurants.

5. Rigo3T

Rigo3T New Member

I like the Portlandia weirdness though. If things get too sticky, we can just go west to Sandy and you're back to the middle of nowhere and at the foot of Mt. Hood. I'm sure it's not so pleasant right now with the flash floods but still.

Maybe you can take some videos with your Yuneec from your city in Portland? (not the city, I guess it's illegal) but something around the area? :) I miss that kind of environment, pine trees, so on... Unless you're in Corvalis, then that's too far south.

6. kip allen

kip allen Active Member

Outside of Salem. In the hills overlooking the valley.

7. Rigo3T

Rigo3T New Member

Nice, do you have a YouTube channel? Have you uploaded anything from your Yuneec?

8. kip allen

kip allen Active Member

No and No.

9. whe

wherry Active Member

Sadly now, so many of the most interesting places are now off limits here in the USA.

10. Rigo3T

Rigo3T New Member

Yeah, that's the sucky part of the whole deal, and that's why I feel for you, fellow aerial photographers and videographers. At least here, for now, there are no laws for, against or concerning drone operations.

11. ran

rancherman Active Member

Kip, 'my' thoughts are this:
    Down on the ground level, we have automobiles that are registered. Most are insured. People behind the wheel have had training to operate them..
    ..... yet they are used as get-away mechanisms in crime situations, some are even used as a wmd. ( plowing into a crowd). More common is the drunk driver..
    We really are not seeing a demand to get rid of automobiles because of this.

I am not saying the a-hole that flys over a crowd, or one that either intentionally or unintentionally flys one into the prop or intake of a turbine should not be punished to the limits of the law! ( our lack of punishment in our justice system is just another rant.. for another day)
    A little sticker is going to be extremely difficult to find after the wreckage is cleaned up. On the other hand, SOMEBODY, SOMEWHERE... got the whole 'caper' on video, and the FBI probably can take the footage and figure out who it belonged to.

This shouldn't be about 'drones'
    This is about the lack of common sense, accountability, and respect for life/safety for the innocent.... and the ultimate deterrent;
    Swift with extreme prejudice punishment.

I'm going to register.

12. Jagerbomb52

Jagerbomb52 Moderator Staff Member

• All aircraft that are flown using a ground control system, such as a transmitter, are required to participate. This includes fixed-wing aircraft, not just multirotors or drones.
    • Any pilot flying models weighing between .55 pounds (or 250 grams) and 55 lbs is required to register.
    • You will not be required to register every aircraft individually. You only need to register yourself and can affix one registration number to all your aircraft.
    • You must mark all aircraft with your registration number. The number can be inside the aircraft, such as a battery hatch - but should not require tools to access.
    • The FAA plans to launch the online registration website on Monday, December 21.
    • There is a $5 fee to register, which is waived if you register within the first 30 days.
    • You only need to register once every 3 years.

13. kip allen

kip allen Active Member

Very well said Rancherman. Jagerbom52, thanks for the update. Very informative. I also will resetter.

14. ran

rancherman Active Member

Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
  15. kip allen

kip allen Active Member

Got it. Thanks. How's the weather in Nebraska?

16. Jagerbomb52

Reason for CC payment has been said so no one registers under a false name.

17. ran

rancherman Active Member

Weather here is $hitty. just above freezing, and sloppy/wet/snowing...
    Be a lot nicer if it was about 10 degrees colder.

18. Jagerbomb52

LOL ha get used to it........I think they call that stuff winter :)

Tuesday Night

Cloudy skies with late-night snow showers. Low 22F. Winds E at 15 to 25 mph. Chance of snow 50%.

19. kip allen

kip allen Active Member

I have been in your state a lot, so I know exactly what you are talking about. Fog today with the hope of sun this afternoon. Temp about 43 so maybe some flying time is in store for me this afternoon.

20. Vimlossus

Vimlossus Active Member

I'm completely torn on this whole registration process. I think it will be great to have something from the government that says "I'm legal to fly here" to show anybody who comes and gives me a hard time about flying my drone.

What I don't like is how the FAA went about this whole thing. They rushed it through, without any comment period from the public. They are just trying to show all the scared people that they are doing something about it, and who cares how they do it. It's also interesting that what they are doing in basically registering people, and not aircraft. Am I the only one who thinks that is a little weird?

One other thing I noticed is that if you have EVER flown a "drone" prior to the registration date, you will have to register. The way it reads is that even if you do not fly anymore, and never plan on flying again, if you have flown once in your life up to this point, you need to register. I know this is probably now how they intended it to be, but because of their rush to get it out, I guess they didn't have the time to properly read it.

Finally, I am a little hesitant to put my CC info into a database that was created in about 2 weeks, and is moderated by some third party company. The government has not exactly been super secure to begin with, and now they want me to trust this one that was rushed out with all my information? There is no way this site could have been properly tested against hackers in a few weeks.

rancherman likes this.