USA FAA Regulations

Discussion in 'Drone Business' started by akdronepix, May 2, 2016.

1. akd

akdronepix New Member

Currently in the United States the FAA requires any drone being used for commercial use to file for a section 333 exemption in order to comply the person operating the drone needs to be a certified pilot like a sport pilot to fly actual planes not just certified drone pilot. Pretty ridiculous

Tags:
    Jack1926 likes this.
  2. Liam Strain

Liam Strain Member

Yes - they keep teasing that they are going to revise the 333 requirements, but I've not seen any movement. Everyone got all hung up on the registration for consumer drones, and left professionals out in the cold.

Jack1926 likes this.
  3. Fre

FreuderLocks Member

So, heres a good question. .How do I go about applying for a 333 exemption? I would like to solidify my business plan but the FAA website is the sucks, impossible to navigate and anything I google takes me to a site where I have to pay for such things. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    -FreuderLocks

4. akd

akdronepix New Member

Go on the FAA website and take a look at the approved petitions in your state and you can see there application it is all public information.

5. Fre

FreuderLocks Member

Thanks man, that website is a nightmare for me to navigate for some reason. Got it figured out though, thanks for the help.
    -FreuderLocks

6. akd

akdronepix New Member

Right on and good luck

7. Fre

FreuderLocks Member

Here is something that is unclear, I realized the question is asked in the first post but I'm still looking for clarification. Do you need an actual pilots license to gain a 333 exemption? if so I'm kind of screwed.
    -FreuderLocks

8. Jagerbomb52

Jagerbomb52 Moderator Staff Member

Yes you do, so you are screwed

9. Jagerbomb52

The company (or individual running the company) that holds the 333 exemption does not need to be a licensed pilot, but the person actually flying the drone/UAV must be.

The licensed pilot can be either a company employee or independent contractor, as long as he or she satisfies the qualifications articulated in the 333 exemption guidelines.

So what does being a licensed pilot mean?

It means you either have, at minimum, a sport or recreational pilot license. You do not need to have a private pilot’s license, but if you already do, that satisfies the requirement. You could also have an airline transport or commercial license, but for most of you that doesn’t apply unless you already have a career in aviation.

Liam Strain likes this.
  10. Fre

FreuderLocks Member

Or unless I can employ a pilot, easily done, strangely I have many female friends with pilots licenses and I just hired one for FREE!

not so screwed anymore.

FreuderLocks

Edit: it still seems prudent and rather easy so ill be trying for my powered parachute license just cause lol.

Last edited: May 12, 2016
    SKETCHY, Jagerbomb52 and Liam Strain like this.
  11. FlyBye

FlyBye New Member

I'm a pilot, and have a commercial license, so none of this effects me. I can't tell you that I have friends that have gotten the 333 exemption and no pilot licenses or pilots on staff. There is a loophole in the rule that you can exploit, and that's what these lawyers that charge $3000 to get you the exemption without being a pilot. I suggest you look all through the public FAA Fourms and you will find requests that has no pilot information on it. I won't elaborate on how it's done, but it's not hard to do at all. Remember that this is a RULE and not a LAW by the Government. The truth is if you fly responsibility and have no problems, the FAA really can't prevent you from earning a living by enacting a new rule while you already had a Drone business up and running. . . . I know you will all disagree with this but you do not have to be a pilot.

12. Fre

FreuderLocks Member

So in other words, you don't know what you are talking about? That's what it sounds like to me, otherwise it seems you would have posted it if it where common knowledge. I'm calling you out on this one. What public FAA forum? I cant seem to find any at all other than DJI user forums. At least post a link to these forums.

Is there any proof in this pudding? anyone?

-FreuderLocks

Last edited: May 13, 2016
  13. mar

markw New Member

14. mar

markw New Member

Or "See authorizations granted via Section 333 exemption"

15. FlyBye

FlyBye New Member

WOW!!! You sound like my Ex-Wife! Instead of crying over all the red tape, do a little work on the net and look at the other 5000+ applications and then look at the 1600 or so that have been approved. LOOK with your eyes at the public forum that is visible to the world. I'm not giving you the link, find it yourself! I will give you a hint!!! It probably ends in a .GOV

16. Jagerbomb52

Something you should have considered when joining this forum is do you want to contribute or do you want to cause trouble. So far you have not contributed very much. Why all the secrets? We on this forum for the most part help each other, that is what keeps us different from othe forums like the RCgroup page where all they do is bitch at each other.
    All the man is asking is for a link or two. Whats the big deal? At this point I would have to agree with him, put you links where your mouth seems to be. :)

Luke, William Ball and PJP like this.
  17. Fre

FreuderLocks Member

Thank you sir,
    I like being toyed with as much as the next guy, especially when the 'hint' involves about 1TB of documents. Saying 'look here' is like saying "read the dictionary and tell me what the story is about" needle in a haystack sort of thing.

What, specifically, FlyBye, am I looking for? Have an example? I still don't understand the secrecy, as you or anybody else, is clearly not losing out on another 333 being filed, so again I can only assume you don't actually know what you are talking about, or this is just another thing some guy heard from his best friends uncles gun buddy or something like that.

Actual help would be greatly appreciated by not only myself, but also the community.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction at least.

-FreuderLocks

18. William Ball

William Ball Active Member

I have a "movement" for the FAA Liam.:eek:

FreuderLocks likes this.
  19. William Ball

William Ball Active Member

Perfectly stated JB spot on my friend!

20. RAH

RAHAlpha Member

I'm new to quads and new to this site. That said, here's my situation: I will be using my Q500+ a little in my business (real estate photography), and I wanted to do this by the book as I had previously done (about a month ago. I did all the same for my first (Parrot Bebop and, for me, don't bother). I simply went onto the FAA site, signed in, and clicked on the sections to registration a second drone.

One question there is whether you will be using the quad for personal or commercial use. For both, I simply clicked on commercial, finished the registration with my business name and with my model/serial # etc., paid my $5 (for each unit) and received my registration #. The license I was able to print shows my business name, make/model/# of the quad and my Certificate Number. The site told me nothing about any 333 exemption either time. I carry the license and made a label to stick on the Q500+.

As far as what the FAA site told me, I crossed my "Ts" and dotted my "Is" and am legal.

Am I missing something?