Q500 4K USB Does not connect to Q500 4K for GUI programming

Discussion in 'Q500/Q500+/Q500 4K/Typhoon G' started by Richard Baker, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Richard Baker

Richard Baker New Member

Feb 2, 2019
    Male
    Just purchased a new unused Q500 4K with the ST10+. I want to update to latest firmware. I downloaded the GUI interface and the VCP drivers but the USB programmer shows disconnected, trying Com port 3. I verifed the USB drivers and the com port. I’Ve tried resetting, disconnecting, etc. but no joy. Any ideas?

2. WTFDproject

WTFDproject Active Member
    Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    First thing: DO NOT update firmware on any Yuneec product unless there is a real reason to do so. It would be to your benefit to read and understand the many threads regarding failed updates, and equipment that can't be recovered because of failed updates. The Q500 drones are not so much of a problem, but the ST-10 and ST-10+ is often wrecked by failed updates.

Point in fact, you probably did not need to update the USB drivers. Most computers don't need the update, and that update itself sometimes creates an issue.

But to your issue:
    Are you using the USB dongle that came with the Q500 4K?
    If you plug the dongle into the computer, does the computer indicate by sound or notice that it recognizes the dongle?
    Are you connecting the dongle to the plug inside the battery door?

3. WTFDproject

Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    Also:
    What time Zone are you in? (I am in eastern U.S, (GMT -5).
    What computer operating system are you using (Windows, Mac)?

4. Bruce

Bruce Active Member

Aug 25, 2016
    Male
    I have never updated the firmware on my Q500 4K everything is working the way I want it to so did not see the need to take the chance of screwing it all up.....Never could figure out why people think as soon as they get the drone they need to update the firmware.....Fly it for a while and make sure everything is working before you take the chance of scrambling it all up...

rmcoy likes this.
  5. Jagerbomb52

Jagerbomb52 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2015
    Male
    Retired
    Canada
    One main reason to update your firmware is for warranty. One question they will ask you or if you send it in is check what firmware you are on. If not up to date you can be refused warranty work. Other reasons are for safety. Some updates are to ensure your UAV can fly safe. Commercial pilots need to keep log books. Part of that is aircraft maintenance and keeping your UAV up to date.
    Not all updates are bad and done right in the first place can make your flying more enjoyable.

6. Bruce

Bruce Active Member

Aug 25, 2016
    Male
    One thing I worry about is that the new firmware will put new built in restrictions on where I can fly, and I will not be able to fly in my own backyard anymore......I have been flying in my backyard and around my neighborhood, out here at the edge of our little town that has less than 7,000 people in the whole town. for over 5 years now with no problem .......

7. Jagerbomb52

Jagerbomb52 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2015
    Male
    Retired
    Canada
    That could be a worry but Yuneec has not updated any of their NFZ in some time. As for the Q500 there is the NFZ firmware that is posted all over the Internet so even if they did update the NFZ the firmware will take care of that.

8. Kieth Kiesel

Kieth Kiesel Member

Apr 26, 2018
    Male
    Washington state
    This may be a stretch but, I think it has to be plugged into a USB 2.0 port.

9. S'aaruuk

S'aaruuk New Member

Oct 21, 2017
    It does require USB 2.0. when I first got my Q500 4K a couple of years ago I discovered that the dongle does not work with USB 3.0.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Yuneec-Forum.com mobile app

10. UsaJag

UsaJag New Member

Feb 5, 2019
    Male
    Birmingham, Al.
    Hello, I've seen many lengthy threads about this issue, and I had the same problem. It turns out that there was a bad batch of the programming cables sent out. If you have one you'll get an error message when it's plugged into your computer (at least that's what happened in my case). The cable I received was bad. I ended up ordering a new one and it worked fine. So that might be the case.

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Yuneec-Forum.com mobile app

11. Daniel 'danny J' deVries

Dec 16, 2017
    Male
    Retired
    Spring Lake, Michigan
    HELP! Re: Q500 GUI link... I just acquired my 2nd Q500 4k (also own a Typhoon H). I cannot get the Q500 to communicate with the GUI. I think I've tried EVERYTHING: USB 2.0, USB 3.0, USB 3.1 ports (I found out with my #1 Q500 that only USB 2.0 connects the GUI). I'm plugging directly into the computer's ports - not using an extension cable. Running the Q500 GUI with various compatibility modes and in Administrator mode. Since I have two Q500 dongles I've tried them both (one chooses COM3: and the other COM4:). It worked before, but on a different WIN10 computer. I've tried 3 different computers (all WIN10) available to me at home - none connect the GUI. Note that my Typhoon H GUI connects and works fine. I cannot update my altitude and distance limits on #2 until I get this Q500 GUI working. ANYBODY OUT THERE HAVE ANY HINTS?

12. WTFDproject

Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    #12 WTFDproject, Mar 11, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    Does the GUI still work on Q500#1? If it does, then the first thing to check is the white connector in the battery door of Q500#2.
    The pins can get bent inside that connector.
    The pins can get pulled put of that connector sometimes when installing the battery.

If any pins are pulled out, this picture might help:

4K connector.jpg

13. Daniel 'danny J' deVries

Dec 16, 2017
    Male
    Retired
    Spring Lake, Michigan
    Q500 #1 is under 40 feet of water! Thus the reason for #2. Checked the connector on the Q500. The photos show a problem with the pins, just as you described. Hopefully, others can learn from these and your insight. THANKS!
    PhotoEditor_20190312_002504807.jpg PhotoEditor_20190312_005459817.jpg

WTFDproject likes this.
  14. WTFDproject

Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    GOOD JOB!!. This is exactly the kind of follow-up that contributes value to the forum. Offering suggestions doesn't have as much meaning if there is no feedback to tell if the suggestion was valid (or not).
    Thanks for the kind words, but mainly, thanks for providing a really great follow-up.