Video creating "breaks" in footage

Discussion in 'Blade Chroma Series' started by Scott Barnes, Jan 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scott Barnes

Scott Barnes New Member

Jan 8, 2016
    Male
    Hi there -- I've got a Chroma 1080 and I just took it out for a flight. When I reviewed the video, rather than one single video, it chopped it up into about 12 different files. Total flight time was only about 5 mins. This is the first time this has happened. Does anyone have an explanation as to why video would record in multiple "scenes" or file rather than one continuous file? Thanks!

2. Wingshooter

Wingshooter Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2015
    Male
    Outdoor Recreation Supervisor
    East Tennessee, USA
    Where there any pictures mixed in with the video files?

3. Scott Barnes

Scott Barnes New Member

Jan 8, 2016
    Male
    No - just a series of video files. They all vary in length. A couple are less than 10 secs, one is about a min. Really strange -- it's like I was turning the video button on/off (which I wasn't).

4. wedbster

wedbster Active Member

Dec 24, 2015
    Male
    Germany
    Hi, possible, you(your drone) has a problem with th SD-Card.
    Not fast enough for saving or not correct fomated.

5. Wingshooter

Wingshooter Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2015
    Male
    East Tennessee, USA
    Good Point. After each flight session I copy all the files from the card I take out of the Camera to my computer then I format it using Fat32. I do this each time. Clean card that way.

What card are you using, Size, Manuf, Speed?

6. Scott Barnes

Scott Barnes New Member

Jan 8, 2016
    Male
    It's a Sandisk Ultra Plus 16GB. 80MB/sec rating.

7. Wingshooter

Wingshooter Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2015
    Male
    East Tennessee, USA
    That card should work just fine. Might I suggest a test on the bench. Set it up inside and turn everything on like you were going to go fly. Just don't. Try recording while indoors for a few minutes and see if it still splits the files up. I would format the card first so it is cleaned off before you start.

If it does fragment the videos then maybe you could try another card to see if it does it on that card also.

I have not heard of your problem before and you might have to give Yuneec support a call. Sorry but maybe someone else has some answers to your problem.

8. WARDHOG

WARDHOG Member

Dec 19, 2015
    Male
    Retired A10 guy
    Having the same issue with my Q500 4k.

9. Wingshooter

Wingshooter Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2015
    Male
    East Tennessee, USA
    You know what, I just went back and read the first post of this thread. He said Chroma 1080. Guess I did not see that. So can I assume you have the ST10 controller and not the ST10+?

10. WARDHOG

WARDHOG Member

Dec 19, 2015
    Male
    Retired A10 guy
    No, I have the ST10+

11. RonK95

RonK95 Active Member

Nov 16, 2015
    Male
    Coder
    Ohio, USA
    All: The MAXIMUM length of a .mp4 video file is about 2 GB on FAT32 formatted SD card (or ANY Fat32 formatted storage device for that matter ... the reason NTFS was invented). Because this is a limitation of the file system format, the Chroma, automatically (smart, huh?) begins a new file when that limit hits. This is common for many media formats: WAV, MP3, MOV, etc. If you "paste" these files together in a video editor on a Windows system with NTFS or a MAC they are seamless, so the file switch happens nearly instantly.

This is NOT a bug or anything broken ... just a computer fact of life.

RonK95

KevMo and mrburns like this.
  12. RonK95

RonK95 Active Member

Nov 16, 2015
    Male
    Coder
    Ohio, USA
    Thank you, mrburns!

13. chad2323

chad2323 New Member

Jan 19, 2016
    Fat32 has a 4 gig limit. On my new Chroma 4k it's splitting the files up around 1,686

14. Lawrence

Lawrence Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2016
    Male
    I have not shot video yet, but are you saying that if I shoot a 5 minute video I will end up with a bunch of small files that I will have to stitch together?

15. RonK95

RonK95 Active Member

Nov 16, 2015
    Male
    Coder
    Ohio, USA
    Chad

FAT32 has a 2 gig limt (actually it's 2.3 something) not 4gig. If the next "chunk" exceeds that limit it breaks it there. 1.6G would appear to be expected especially if you shooting at 4k video.

You might try formatting with a smaller sector size but I don't know if the camera will recognize any sector size other than the default.

Lawrence ... That is correct. Depending on the resolution, that can mean many files. Not a chore to stitch then ..just drop them in order into the timeline of you favorite video editor.

RonK95

16. Lawrence

Lawrence Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2016
    Male
    Thank you.

17. chad2323

chad2323 New Member

Jan 19, 2016
    Is it just this camera that has the 2 gig size? My gopro 4 black thats fat32 cuts the files at just below 4 gigs. I even just put one of my files on the Chroma card and it's 3,907.942. Just checked my files from the Inspire and phantom 3 and the largest I see on the card was 4,101,556 and I believe they are both fat32. This camera on the chroma is chopping the video in 1,841,531 size files

You cannot create a file larger than (2^32)-1 bytes (this is one byte less than 4 GB) on a FAT32 partition

Attached Files:

18. RonK95

RonK95 Active Member

Nov 16, 2015
    Male
    Coder
    Ohio, USA
    Hi Chad2323:

Go to this wikipedia page to learm everything you possibly didn't want to know about File Systems on windows machines:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Allocation_Table#FAT32

In a nutshell: Fat32 inherently will NOT write a file larger than 2Gig ...

FAT32:
    Developer(s) Microsoft, Caldera
    Full name 32-bit File Allocation Table
    (with 28-bit cluster entries)
    Introduced August 1996 (Windows 95 OSR2)
    Max. file size
    2,147,483,647 bytes (2 GB - 1) (without LFS)
    4,294,967,295 bytes (4 GB - 1)[1](with LFS)

... UNLESS the operating system (read camera firmware) is running some version of the LFS (Larger File System) extention to the FATxx sywstem.

"Large file support, often abbreviated as LFS, is the term frequently applied to the ability to create files larger than either 2 GB or 4 GB on 32-bit operating systems.

Traditionally, many operating systems and their underlying file system implementations used 32-bit integers to represent file sizes and positions. Consequently, no file could be larger than 232 − 1 bytes (4 GB − 1). In many implementations, the problem was exacerbated by treating the sizes as signed numbers, which further lowered the limit to 231 − 1 bytes (2 GB − 1). Files that were too large for 32-bit operating systems to handle came to be known as large files."

Seeing the difference between the GoPro and the CQ03+, I would have to speculate that GoPro's firmware uses some form of the LFS code to augment the file sizes.

Kinda wish Yuneec would look into that too, don't you? (Listening Yuneec?)

RonK95

19. chad2323

chad2323 New Member

Jan 19, 2016
    #19 chad2323, Jan 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
    All I know all my stuff that is fat32 handles up to 4 gigs files. My Canon EOS 7 that has a fat32 system is limited to 4 gig files before it splits them up one thing I hated about it. In all my other cameras never had much of a issue because was only getting 5 to 8 minute flights but once the 4K camera came out like whats on the DJI Inspire I started seeing them split up with long flight times and 4K. I always transfer files from one computer to another using flash cards and never had problems with large files around 4 gig. Maybe it's the operating system it's been awhile since I used Window 95. I think things changed with Windows XP. As you can see in the photo I put a almost 4 gig file on the micro sd card that has fat32 file system

20. RonK95

RonK95 Active Member

Nov 16, 2015
    Male
    Coder
    Ohio, USA
    And nothing here disputes what you are saying and, in fact, offers a factual explanation of the probable differences.

This is not a problem or defect ... it merely reflects the choices made for the operating systems by the designers. Yuneec apparently chose to use a minimum 32bit file system ... so what? Whining about it here and comparing it to other systems whose designers made different choices for different processors does no good.

Yes, it's an older file system, but this is a very small, dedicated computer with limited memory for the operating system with no need to write to tera-byte storage units. Would you rather they use their limited memory capacity housing LFS code just to make bigger files; or use it for code that will enhance the flight characteristics and the stability of the quad?

There is hardware available to mount your GoPro on your Chroma.

RonK95