VIDEO QUESTION FOR CHROMA WITH 4K

Discussion in 'Blade Chroma Series' started by REB, Jun 21, 2016.

1. REB

REB Member

Jun 14, 2016
    Male
    South East Georgia
    I have the Chroma kit set up with 4K camera.
    My question for everyone is. when you shoot video of your flight does it turn out to be in several files?
    When I shoot video, what I think would be one long (15 minute) video turns out to be separated into 3 or 4 different files. Usually around 1.5 to 1.7 GB in size each. About a 5 min video each. I'm using a 32GB, 4K card.
    I guess it's really no big deal but I'm not sure why the system separates the video out.
    Is there a setting I need to change to have it all in one file? If so, I haven't noticed one yet.
    YES, I'm new to this and curious as well. :)
    Thanks in advance for any input.
    Roy

2. Chris Moss

Chris Moss Member

Mar 5, 2016
    Male
    REB.. all is well... there is a great reason for the small files.. plus... when you go to edit, they will seem together just great... I have heard from friends of mine with other birds..(drones). that if they forget to shut off camera recording before powering down the bird,,, they corrupt the file and loose it, My friends have lost 20 minute files from a shoot,,, and boy oh boy were they not happy..LOL... so if you forget to stop recording before you power down your bird... you will only loose the last file. my worst issue is getting a great shot... then land the bird and when I go to stop video.... I notice the counter not moving... aaaargh... I forgot to hit record... Go figure. Also as a newbie... remember you cannot take pics while doing video... you have to set camera to pics to do pics.... but great news is... if you really want a picture while doing video... wait until you edit... then just do a screen shot in your editing program... Nice clean pic from the high quality video resolution. Hope this helps

3. REB

REB Member

Jun 14, 2016
    Male
    South East Georgia
    Hi Chris,
    Thank you very much for the information. So it's just the way it all works. I guess as you stated it's for the best. As for forgetting to hit video, I've done that a few times now. Didn't miss anything serious since I'm just playing in the yard for a while but I can see where it could be an issue.
    I can see that video and photos are not going to work at the same time. I can stop video then shoot stills BUT, I have discovered I can not shoot photos in a lower quality setting. It simply will not take a still photo in less than 1080 or 4K setting. That's not an issue since I read here on this forum that you can change the camera settings on the fly.
    As for edit, I'm in the dark on that as well. It's tough being old in the new world. :)
    My grandson set me up with Movie Maker but I'm having a little learning issue with it. I'm not aware of other programs for easy edit and adding music etc.. so I need to work at this a bit more. I'll force the kid to come assist the OLD guy with hands on for a couple hours.
    Regardless, thank you again for the helpful information.
    Have a blessed evening.
    Roy

4. Chris Moss

Chris Moss Member

Mar 5, 2016
    Male
    REB, you should be able to take photos in all settings but 1 of them... set your bird on table,,, go to camera settings... and try to take a shot in each setting... should be all but one that you can use.... as far as editing,,, windows movie maker will work just fine... just not sure of screen capture... Have your kids look into it or just google.." Can I use snapshot on windows movie maker" should find an answer there. Have fun learning the bird,,, this is a great forum...I have received tons of help in here.. lots of great folks willing to help

REB likes this.
  5. REB

REB Member

Jun 14, 2016
    Male
    South East Georgia
    Chris,
    just a quick update, I have not had time to test the camera settings yet. What I have tried to do so far will only allow me to take photos in the upper quality settings but I'll give it another test soon.
    As for Movie Maker, I've figured out another couple things and now can add fades, wipes etc... add music AND take snap shots. It actually has a snapshot button. Click that and save the stills to my desktop.
    Thanks again for the help.
    Roy

Chris Moss likes this.
  6. Der Stig

Der Stig Member

May 3, 2016
    Male
    It's a file size limitation and nothing to worry about

Chris Moss likes this.
  7. Chris Moss

Chris Moss Member

Mar 5, 2016
    Male
    Glad we could help... good to hear there is a snapshot on windows moviemaker... this would be the best way to get your photos anyway... a lot more choices to get a snapshot from... happy flying