What happens if I switch off the propellers in mid air?

Discussion in 'Typhoon H Discussion' started by CelicaMalta, Sep 23, 2018.

1. CelicaMalta

CelicaMalta New Member

May 24, 2018
    What happens?? Is there ba safety to prevent the drone from falling? Thanks

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Yuneec-Forum.com mobile app

2. HarveyH54

HarveyH54 Active Member

My Q500 lost power, bad battery connector, and it fell, sort of tumbled down, considerable damage. I'd suspect that if you cut off the power to the props, a similar fate. It would be more in the category of pilot error. I've seen videos, and read a few posts, about people who catch their drone in hand, rather than land them. Little crazy, but may make sense in some situations, like on a boat, rough ground, vegetation. If you can hand catch, would guess you could shut it down.

3. CraigCam

CraigCam New Member

Mar 1, 2017
    A multirotor without power is a rock in the air.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

4. SucculentGrapes

SucculentGrapes New Member

Sep 6, 2018
    Down she goes. If you completely take out power theres no power for the failsafe to activate either.

5. Bruce

Bruce Active Member

Aug 25, 2016
    Male
    Well toss up a rock, and watch how it flies as it comes down,,,that is your drone,without power....

6. CelicaMalta

CelicaMalta New Member

May 24, 2018
    Is there a safety to not switch off the propellers during mid flight??

7. jvawter

jvawter New Member

Apr 20, 2017
    I would think that if you tried to stop the rotors while in flight, the firmware of the controller would have programming to ignore the rotor button (red button on ST-16) to prevent shutdown when in flight. For a definative answer we would have to consult Yuneek for the answer.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Yuneec-Forum.com mobile app

8. Dino

Dino New Member

Jun 4, 2018
    Male
    If you push the start/stop button during flight, the H will slowly descend until it touches down, then shut off, at least under normal conditions. I had a malfunction where my H wouldn't come down below 10 feet so I tried the stop button and it shut it off mid flight. Not sure what happened that time, but I've tested it before then and it lands it, even on a hand catch. That being said, don't go try it and blame me if your bird falls like a rock.

9. CelicaMalta

CelicaMalta New Member

May 24, 2018
    Thanks guys! Last time I pressed the red button (start/stop) by mistake for a quarter of a second instead of pressing the photo button) and wondered what could have happened... Thanks alot

10. Jagerbomb52

Jagerbomb52 Guest

LOL
    This is why they have a 3 second delay on that switch. You can also buy a cover for that switch to stop you from pushing it. I think most of us have almost pushed that switch at one time or other. :)

black-safety-switch-cover-yuneec-st10_1024x1024.jpg

11. Bruce

Bruce Active Member

Aug 25, 2016
    Male
    I know on the Q500 4K, if you push that red button while the drone is flying, the props will stop, and it will fall like a rock....that is why it is red and the button is recessed into the socket a little. all the other buttons are not recessed. Don't push the red button while the drone is in the air....that being said..it could be the only alternative, during a run away............if it runs away, it is going to crash someplace, better you bring it down, where you can find it, and possibly having it fly away and hit somebody......

12. CraigCam

CraigCam New Member

Mar 1, 2017
    If you hold the switch past the three secs, it is motor stop free fall. I don’t recommend it. I’ve done it indoors to stop a 480 pro from striking a ceiling and that less the ten foot fall broke landing gear motors and two motor arms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

CelicaMalta likes this.