What you find when not looking

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by David Hoegen, Dec 1, 2015.

1. David Hoegen

David Hoegen Active Member

Jun 3, 2015
    Male
    Photography specialty 360 Virtual Tours
    Dudley, MA USA
    Today i decided to do a how-to on changing ESC, motors, and LEDs. After taking the LED cover off, I thought there was a hair stuck in the motor bay. To my supersize it was a crack. in my opinion this is from over tightening the motor screw during manufacturing. This bird has never crashed and I hand lunch and hand land. Not even a scratch. It been flying great but seeing this I can with good conscience fly it now. I sent Ryan and email with pictures in hopes they will just swap it out. Still under 3 months. Iv been though the 4 to 6 week service repair with my Q500. Make sure your checking for this.

[​IMG]

2. nrrtrains

nrrtrains Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2015
    Male
    Staten Island New York USA
    when you open the motor bay did you find the plastic parts that broke off , if not , when it was assembled the person knew he screwed up and just let it go , bad quality control .

3. SparkoRC

SparkoRC Active Member

Oct 9, 2015
    Male
    Surrey. United Kingdom
    Sorry to see a crack in your quad around the motor, I just hope this is a isolated case of over tightening of the screw, because DJI Phantom's have been known to suffer stress cracks around the motor screw fixings, and the problem has never been resolved, that was one reason I changed to Yuneec Typhoon 4K.

On my phantom I have changed the body shell several times, only to find the problem still exists, and other phantom flyers have reported motors breaking away during flight and consequently crashing.

[​IMG]

4. David Hoegen

Jun 3, 2015
    Male
    Dudley, MA USA
    UPDATE:
    Received an email, there are replacing the frame. I asked in my email to allow me to do the repair so I don't have to wait 3 - 6 week for them to do the repair. They were OK with that.
    So now I wait for the part. Happy day.

Now to do a How To: Change the frame.

Nettle Creek UAV likes this.
  5. SparkoRC

SparkoRC Active Member

Oct 9, 2015
    Male
    Surrey. United Kingdom
    Glad you got it sorted hopefully wont be long before you in the air again, I also found Yuneec customer service very good as I have just had my ST10+ transmitter changed due a a faulty circuit board they received my faulty ST10+ and returned me a brand new replacement all the same day, well done Yuneec.

mrburns and David Hoegen like this.
  6. Wieg1

Wieg1 Member

Feb 14, 2015
    Male
    RC cars, airplanes, helicopters and drones
    Tuscany - Italy
    #6 Wieg1, Dec 3, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
    ... of course, if you do not check you do not notice anything until something breaks and there is a crash .
    I'm really angry, I view the pictures I also went to check the two Q500 I own.
    Both they have the engine mounts starting to break, is the beginning of more serious damage that can be seen above.
    20151203_094537.jpg 20151203_093212.jpg
    I add that my two Q are of different series, one is the Q500 and the other is the Q500 +, I've invested too much money in this product extremely defective in many parts.
    Yes, they, for now, fly correctly but all engine mounts begin to break down.
    I hate to say it but I think that if all owners of this damn product go to check, they could find at least a motor with this defect.
    I had defects of all kinds with this product, the stick of first ST10 was broken at the base, the display of the ST10 + had a defect on the touchscreen and inside a damaged antenna by a screw assembly in the factory, I had the distance of the wifi only 150 meters, and many many others defects, just scroll this forum to figure out how many faults have this product.
    I'm a RC model maker for over 30 years and I've never had so many disappointments.
    Sorry, I'm not one who covers his eyes and nose, and uses things even defective as long as they work, I think on this flying objects that are also dangerous, there must be something more.
    The service sometimes works well, sometimes it is completely absent, I think that with this product they have a lot of work and you can not have need of technical assistance so often !!
    I really regret having bought Yuneec.

7. SparkoRC

SparkoRC Active Member

Oct 9, 2015
    Male
    Surrey. United Kingdom
    Wieg1, How many hours flights would you estimate you have out of each craft, I think their is some chance for concern to other Yuneec Typhoon owners, I will certainly be checking mine although I have only had it since 21st October 2015 and roughly calculate its done approx 8 1/2 hrs flight time, if the Yuneec Typhoon are going to suffer the same fate as DJI Phantom's 1,2 and 3 versions cracks started appearing in mine Phantom after about 5 - 6months of use which based on my flight battery data log the Phantom had done about 60 hours total flight time, before I noticed any cracks, the big concern is Yuneec cracks are only visible after removing the lights, at least with Phantoms their stress cracks were visible externally, so based on now two typhoon owners have found cracks in their craft, and without being a alarmist for safety reasons I would suggest everyone checks their craft, this would ascertain if there is going to be a ongoing problem with the craft, I just hope this is a isolated case because this was one of the reasons I ditched DJI Phantom's continuous problem suffering from what looked like stress fracture cracks.

8. Wieg1

Wieg1 Member

Feb 14, 2015
    Male
    RC cars, airplanes, helicopters and drones
    Tuscany - Italy
    #8 Wieg1, Dec 3, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
    ... Right considerations, I are very meticulous and all my flights are recorded on the timer of my batteries.
    The first Q is around 14 hours of flight, the Q500 + has only seven hours of flight.
    My impression is that the problem is not related only to the hours of flight but rather to a poor quality of plastic and over tightening of the screws in the factory.
    The tightening of the screw inflates the rubber ring which widens and creates stress on the housing.
    The initial breakage is the ring that surrounds the rubber gasket, from there may start the breakage of the motor support.
    I should point out that I had never replaced the engine or check the tightening of the screws.

9. SparkoRC

SparkoRC Active Member

Oct 9, 2015
    Male
    Surrey. United Kingdom
    Update :- I'm pleased to report that I have checked all four motor fixings and no cracks found, but as my quad has low flying hours I was not expecting to see anything yet, but will check again after it has done more flight hours.

Word of Caution one of circuit boards on one motor was very hard to lift up from the four plastic posts, so be very gently lifting it up off the posts or you may crack the circuit board, just gently apply a little pressure under the circuit board on all four corners to ease it off.

10. nrrtrains

nrrtrains Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2015
    Male
    Staten Island New York USA
    hi
    i have been in the RC hobby for over 50 years and have had too many RC cars and monster trucks to count , many are made of plastic body and mountings with metal screws in plastic ( 1970 and 1980 electric ) i have jumped those old RC models from as low as 5 feet to over 25 feet and put more stress on them and never have i notice any cracks like the ones seen in the photos , yes i have replaced many plastic parts but not around the motors . i under stand the plastic is thinner for overall weight to be lighter for longer flight times but the plastic must be too thin in the motor area where vibration is constant , it has to be a manufacturing defect plain and simple . the one question i would ask , is this in early models or all Q's , dose Yuneec know about this problem or have they addressed and fixed this problem yet ? .
    has any one notice the cracks after a crash , and do they think this was a contributing factor in the crash ?

11. Mr. Thompson

Mr. Thompson New Member

Sep 18, 2015
    Male
    The motor mount screws in the photo were obviously over torqued. It's worth checking the torque on all the screws on your Q500 as part of general maintenance. Check your motor mounts when you pull the ESC board to oil the lower motor bearing.

12. David Hoegen

Jun 3, 2015
    Male
    Dudley, MA USA
    #12 David Hoegen, Dec 3, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
    This is what a forum is about. Learn and educate vendors on problems we find. As a note I put a hash mark on the battery for every flight. This way I will know how many flights and how long the battery last. I have 36 flights. That's about 9 hours give or take.

Great job checking your motor mounts. I will pass this onto the tech I emailed.

13. SparkoRC

SparkoRC Active Member

Oct 9, 2015
    Male
    Surrey. United Kingdom
    DJI on their Phantom has never fixed this ongoing problem with cracks and they have been aware of this since the first phantom, I sincerely this problem is not going to repeat itself with the Yuneec Tyhoon I'm not suggesting that Yuneec are the same so please bear this mind.

To prove a point I just typed in google search just a minute ago the words (Phantom stress cracks around motor) and you still find loads of info relating to this problem so its still ongoing.

We need more Tyhoon owners to check for cracks we can only then determine if their is cause for alarm.

Loads of ideas on the cause & remedying the problem, but as far as I'm aware the varied remedy's suggested for phantom repairs don't worked.

https://www.google.co.uk/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=i_ZiVqZC6pSKBuqPnsAE#q=phantom+stress+cracks+around+motor

14. David Hoegen

Jun 3, 2015
    Male
    Dudley, MA USA
    I will have a new body in a couple of days. I'm going to measure the thickness of the plastic. I thinking it may be caused by the screw's. Maybe They could use a screw's. That has yust enough thred to hold the motor. This would prevent the screw's from going to far in.[​IMG]

15. SparkoRC

SparkoRC Active Member

Oct 9, 2015
    Male
    Surrey. United Kingdom
    I now think that this problem is just a isolated few that possibly got pass quality control, due to the possibility of the motor fixing screws during assembly were over tightened, there has not been anyone else stating cracks in the plastic body shell around the motors fixing screws, so I assume no one else has found any cracks !

16. Mr. Thompson

Mr. Thompson New Member

Sep 18, 2015
    Male
    My apologies for suggesting the motor mount screws were overtightened when this same problem was posted earlier in this forum. Here's what I found on mine. [​IMG] As this was a replacement frame that I painted and installed there is no warranty. Obviously there is a problem with the rubber used in the mounts. Yuneec's position to skirt this issue and blame the customer for a defective product because they did not install the frame is deplorable. They have seen the last of my new multirotor purchases.

[​IMG]

17. raddbus

raddbus Active Member

Jan 18, 2016
    Male
    Electronic Tech
    California
    Mr. Thompson, Got a pic of your whole drone, I like the color, interested to see what it looks like.

18. MadMattz

MadMattz Active Member

Jul 29, 2015
    Male
    Upstate NY USA
    I had this same cracking on my Q500 4K. It did crash so I assumed that is what it was from. However a friend of mine with a Q500+ who has never crashed it also had the same ring cracks as shown. I changed my body shell due to damage from the crash. I did not over torque the motor screws by an means. I checked today only after a handful of calm flights and three of the four motor pods again have all the rings cracked again :mad:

These pictures are from the first body shell:
    [​IMG]

19. SparkoRC

SparkoRC Active Member

Oct 9, 2015
    Male
    Surrey. United Kingdom
    MadMatttz - Trying to understand whats going on with hopefully these isolated cases of Q500 showing cracks around the motor fixing bolts, could you explain which of the motor mounts have cracks ie front or rear arms, the reason I ask is if this problem is similar to the DJI Phantom problem of stress cracks as I described in my previous messages, its always been in the rear arms of the phantom 1 and 2 that's been my experience, and I have now noticed some phantom 3 pilots are reporting cracks in the bodyshell as well now!

When this topic first cropped up I immediately checked all four motor mounts of my own Q500 4K and did not find any cracks whatsoever, but suggested other Yunneec pilots should also check in case this is going to be a similar problem like the DJI Phantoms, but as I did not see any more messages on this topic so I assumed this was more than likely a isolated case of cracking.

With this in mind I would urge again all Q500 pilots just to check their motor mount fixings for any sign of cracks in the plastic, its a very easy and quick task to do just remove the light covers of each motor and carefully pries up the circuit board very gently, and look underneath around the four motor fixing bolts for any signs of cracking in the plastic, then reassemble if no cracks are found, but would suggest periodically checking as part of a routine safety maintenance check, because the last thing you want is to have a motor completely rip out of its fixings during a flight.

20. MadMattz

MadMattz Active Member

Jul 29, 2015
    Male
    Upstate NY USA
    Spark,

On my first body shell all 4 motor pods had them. I cannot say if they were there before the crash but if not I would assume the crash caused mine. The original body was running the AeroNaut CF props at the time of the crash so that would lead me to believe that would make the stress on the frame worse.
    My second frame motors #1, #2 and #4 have the cracks. For some reason motor #3 (rear RH) is fine....for now. Again this second frame has only about 10 or so short duration flights in calm conditions carrying stock load on stock props.
    I will ask my friend which motors he found the cracking on.