When will there be Mapping?

Discussion in 'Drone Business' started by Daniel G, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Dan

Daniel G New Member

I'm in the field today. Will report back.

skwty likes this.
  2. sky

skypuppy7 Member

Be nice if the Q500's could do that.

3. skwty

skwty Active Member

I always thought the same thing, but when I realized it won't, it was time to upgrade :)

4. Dan

Daniel G New Member

So sorry for the late reply. That day I did not get the chance to be in the field due to having to help with water quality analysis.

I did have the chance to go out and fly it yesterday though. The grid system is pretty solid. I have not plugged it into Pix4d yet but when I do I will update.

Some things I did notice when setting up the grids is that Firefox seems to have a problem working, so Chrome is needed. After that when stretching the locations of the grids to a particular area you are given 4 dots, one at each end of the grid. If there is a waypoint over that area you have to adjust the direction or zoom in a lot so that you can move the point. After that I found it was annoying to try and set the altitude perfectly with the little wheel to adjust it. Luckily though it turns out you can type in the exact numbers you would like instead of using the wheel in the area.

Pros:
    One of the only gridding systems that I could find
    Fairly simple to set up grids
    When setting a home point an approximate distance for the H is given
    Auto sets the gimbal at 90 degrees looking down

Cons:
    Adjusting the direction and the distance can be confusing at times. Why is there a number value for these? If you set a lower number for the distance then you have more waypoints, but for higher values there is more space in between each waypoint.
    No support for Firefox
    No approximation for the camera space covered, like the UAV Toolbox app offers

All in all its not bad, but has room to improve. I will be using it for a long time until an alternative surfaces.

5. skwty

skwty Active Member

ALL of these things are good to know. Thanks for trying it out. At some point, the weather might cooperate where I live and I am going to give it a go as well. Good luck.

6. big

biggerj New Member

HI...all Skwty did you get it to work for you ....I tried it to day on my st-16 remote and it wouldn't find me on the map...what am I doing wrong...?

7. Dan

Daniel G New Member

Try it on a computer then transfer to the st-16 via micro USB. There is instructions on the site page.

8. big

biggerj New Member

Hi..Dan did you get the flight planner to work for you ...I tried to get it to work but no luck ...I was trying to make a grid, using auto grid but no luck...how do you get a auto grid to work...?

9. Dan

Daniel G New Member

Not sure if I'm using the auto grid feature to be honest. What I do is:

1. click the grid button in the top right

2. Set parameters of the grid like adjusting the area it is going in, then going to the altitude and direction and everything

3. Click create grid underneath the altitude settings

4. Save grid in the top right appears and it gives you a option to name it as a curved cable cam file (CCC). Make sure you click save and not press enter or else you have to do it over.

5. Saved to my computer I now plug in my st-16 via micro USB and power it on

6. Navigate to mission planner (I think) on the internal memory and add the saved CCC to the folder (your other CCC should be in this folder, I just can't remember how to navigate to it off the top of my head)

7. Unplug st-16 and in the CCC setting on the main screen, the file should be there.

8. You're ready to fly.

Note: make sure you're not using Mozilla. Only chrome works from what I can tell. I usually also go up to about 20 points for the H, otherwise it runs out of battery before it can finish the grid.

Let me know if you have another question.

10. Dro

DroneClone Active Member

Yeah report back, How does it work? Any instructions?

11. Dro

DroneClone Active Member

Cant it this program be installed onto the ST16 so you can save it directly to CCC with no need for sd card?

12. Dro

DroneClone Active Member

Do you have the site page ulr? Thanks! I need full instructions if available!

13. Dan

Daniel G New Member

https://hplan.yuneec.si/#

Hit the question mark in the top left. If there is something I possibly missed it would be there.

I also don't believe this can be installed directly onto the H. It is a web based app, not an app that could be saved onto the st-16. I haven't tried it from the web browser on the st-16 but if you try it let us know! It just seems very unintuitive to use the st-16 when setting the grids.

Read the above directions I posted to see how to manage the grids.

14. Dro

DroneClone Active Member

Thank you kindly! If web based I agree!

15. Dan

Daniel G New Member

Hey everyone! Just thought I'd update the post with a 3D model I have completed. To create this model I used https://hplan.yuneec.si/# to set up the grid points. Then I used Pix4d which can read the telemetry to each picture and match them up together and stitch them creating a 3D model. Then I uploaded to Sketchfab so you all can see it!

https://skfb.ly/6nM6o

As I mentioned before I am looking at the hydrologic flows of the Santa Clara River in Camarillo, CA and looking at how to increase the flow of the river for endangered indigenous species to travel upstream to their historic breeding grounds. Hopefully these 3D models will be able to give us a better idea on how to help these endangered species!

Ralphy likes this.
  16. Ral

Ralphy Member

Nice did you do that with a trail version of pix 4d?

17. Dan

Daniel G New Member

No. My school has Pix4d available for me to use so I was able to use the full version.

I should mention I recently sold my Typhoon H. Mapping had just become to difficult to do as is and so I purchased the Phantom 4 Pro. The difference is night and day. It is far more easier to use than the H.

I really did love my H. Maybe one day I'll get another again once Yuneec has fixed some of their issues.

Ralphy likes this.
  18. Ral

Ralphy Member

OK cool so your doing environmental studies. I have stuck with my H. Aside from the lack of new features like waypoint navigation and grid mapping I'm actually pretty happy with it now. Would you be willing to tell me what shortcomings you expirienced with it vs the phantom 4. I've solved the issue of short battery life several months back which is a problem when using it for mapping. Also have you worked with software like Autodesk Recap Pro? It's not as advanced as pix4d but it seems promising given its ability to seemelessly integrate with AutoCAD, revit, or navisworks .

19. Dan

Daniel G New Member

I'll have to make a list for you on the cons of the Yuneec.
    - Guessing the amount of flight duration. In order to get good overlap I'd have to guess how long each flight was. The Phantom gives you an approximate estimate of the duration each mission will take. This was terrible if I had multiple batteries since usually the battery would run out before the grid was complete, thereby making my map have "holes" in it, or areas the camera did not cover.

- In the field on the fly: One thing I hated about Yuneec was setting the waypoints at home, then putting them on the ST-16, then going out to the field. It is far more easier to set up your grids in the field with Dronedeploy or the Pix4d mapping app since it uses your 4G. St-16 says they will have 3G soon but its been over a year.

- The sensor on the Phantom 4 pro is 20MP compared to Yuneec's 12MP. The Phantom 4 Pro, with a better sensor, will allow you to fly at a higher altitude. Since the Pro is flying higher the camera covers a wider area allowing for a larger area to be covered.

- Overlap was always a guess. With Pix4d we have to have 80% frontlap (which Yuneec did fine) and 60% sidelap, which was always a guess. By getting a more accurate idea of the sidelap you can then have more flight time instead of being constrained to guessing.

- Maps would come out discolored with green / purple hues on the edges of the map.

These are the ones that come to the top of my head. I am sure there are more, just can't recall.

I have never worked with Autodesk Recap Pro. My workflow is Pix4d > .shp / .kml files created > ESRI GIS.

I'll see if I can upload some pictures of my map. You can see the difference between the two.

Ralphy likes this.
  20. Dan

Daniel G New Member