Typhoon G Wiping it clean?

Discussion in 'Q500/Q500+/Q500 4K/Typhoon G' started by Vicki Felmlee, Sep 3, 2019.

1. Vicki Felmlee

Vicki Felmlee Active Member

Jul 26, 2015
    Female
    Marketing
    Grand Junction CO
    Hi, all it has been a ton of Sundays since posting, have had not issues with Q or H, happy with both. Held a drone race (not related) and a guy came to us with a Typhoon Q. It flew fine first few times then...and this gets a little dodgy here, he maybe synced it with a mobile he no longer has (??? and don't know why????) and the bottom line is nothing works. He also messed with the control unit, but has no idea what he did. He got with Yuneec, tech support no help, if he boxes it up it will cost him $500 min. I want to help at least as I can, so my thought is to just wipe everything clean, all software on everything, reinstall, bind everything and see what happens. I have downloaded latest and greatest - so, question. If I just install the software to the Q, will that wipe everything out, including on the control unit? Or, any other suggestions?

2. WTFDproject

WTFDproject Active Member
    Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    OK. This sounds interesting, but it carries some peril due to lack of information:
    1.) I don't know exactly which version of Q he has. That makes some differences in this.
    2.) I don't understand the general phrase "nothing works". What doesn't work? The drone doesn't come on? The controller doesn't come on?
    Both come on but don't bind? The controller comes on but has a blank screen? Doesn't acquire satellites? Many more possibilities, way to many to try to guess.
    3.) I don't understand the comment "synced it with a mobile he no longer has (???". What is "it"? The camera? If so, which camera does he have?
    4 .) I don't know which controller he has. (That one might be a biggie.)

With some hesitation (because I am not sure what we are discussing), I will offer these thoughts in advance:
    1.) Drone, Camera, and Controller are three individual systems, each with it's own update and/or reset process.
    2.) You can update the drone firmware to pretty much anything you want. The drone firmware updates are pretty reliable. Also probably won't help much of anything, but yeah, pretty reliable update success.
    3.) Camera firmware updates are available for the CGo3, and are somewhat reliable, but you need to read up on them. Many folks think the update is finished before it actually is, and wind up with a bricked camera because they turn it off and restart it too early.
    4.) IF he has an ST10, you MUST NOT try to update it to the current firmware listed on the Yuneec site. That firmware update only works for the ST10+. If you try to load it onto an ST-10, you will essentially have an ST10 brick. The screen will be blank (actually, a series of broad grey bars with slight differences in the shades of grey). If this is what he already has, it cannot be fixed by the user.
    5.) IF you do a factory reset on the controller, be sure to delete any/all existing models and create a new one prior to binding.

3. Vicki Felmlee

Jul 26, 2015
    Female
    Marketing
    Grand Junction CO

4. Vicki Felmlee

Jul 26, 2015
    Female
    Marketing
    Grand Junction CO
    OK, will try to answer as much as I can:

1.) I don't know exactly which version of Q he has. That makes some differences in this.
    Typhoon Q500 4K Instruction Manual is V2_1215 if that helps at all. sticker on bottom FW V1.07

2.) I don't understand the general phrase "nothing works". What doesn't work? The drone doesn't come on? The controller doesn't come on?
    Drone does not come on, no motors; no visual via camera, controller is "on" but no GPS, satellites, N/A on all settings.

Both come on but don't bind? The controller comes on but has a blank screen? Doesn't acquire satellites? Many more possibilities, way to many to try to guess.

Not a blank screen, the "generic" mountain image, see above
    3.) I don't understand the comment "synced it with a mobile he no longer has (???". What is "it"? The camera? If so, which camera does he have?

I don't understand his explanation either, Camera is the CGO3
    4 .) I don't know which controller he has. (That one might be a biggie.)
    ST10+ - is there a place on or in it I can find out more?

5. WTFDproject

Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    @Vicki Felmlee ,
    Yeah, now we have something to work with. Sounds like the controller is fine, we can come back to it later if needed.

To address the drone:
    Do ANY lights come on anywhere on the drone. If the rear LED comes on, what color is it, and what is the pattern of it's flashing? Does either the camera or the drone make any beeping sounds?

If there are no lights anywhere, we need to explore a different path.

6. Vicki Felmlee

Jul 26, 2015
    Female
    Marketing
    Grand Junction CO
    Lights, yes,
    On the Q, white in "front" (camera front), and red or orange on back, hard to tell. Not flashing. On the light where battery entry is, pulsating red. Q is beeping, one two three. Not sure I've ever heard cameras beep. Camera does have tiny green lights flashing near top and on left hand side

7. Vicki Felmlee

Jul 26, 2015
    Female
    Marketing
    Grand Junction CO
    Controller just made kind of a whirring noise.

8. Vicki Felmlee

Jul 26, 2015
    Female
    Marketing
    Grand Junction CO
    AND the gimble mount is getting really really hot. Camera is kind of tilted like it's not at all happy.

9. WTFDproject

Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    Sound like a short on the camera gimbal, or the drone wires leading to it. Take the camera off and see what the drone does without the camera mounted.

10. Vicki Felmlee

Jul 26, 2015
    Female
    Marketing
    Grand Junction CO
    Lights are the same, still making that beeping sound. And, when I hit Start, controller goes to the screen that begins "Bind" - was doing that anyway, so still the same. so, still no motors

11. Vicki Felmlee

Jul 26, 2015
    Female
    Marketing
    Grand Junction CO
    Not sure this matters, the SD card that came with it has Android and android_secure folders, I found my orig SD card and it doesn't have that.

12. WTFDproject

Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    Three quick, red flashes, pause, repeat indicates failure to initialize. You will have to hook it up to the Q500 Gui to find out why it won't initialize.
    The whirring noise in the controller may just be the cooling fan. They tend to be a little noisy.
    Not sure why it is going to the bind screen when you hit start. But if the drone won't initialize, it can't bind anyway.

Did the camera mount area still get hot?

13. Vicki Felmlee

Jul 26, 2015
    Female
    Marketing
    Grand Junction CO
    No, not hot at all now. Tomorrow (getting late here), I'll hook up the GUI and see what I can do - however, should I restore to Factory Settings or would you not recommend that?

14. WTFDproject

Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    The SD card in the controller, or the SD card in the camera?
    I don't think those folders have anything to do with a Yuneec drone. I would just take the card out for now. Everything will work without either card installed, you just can't record anything.
    I wonder if those files play into whatever the problem is.

15. WTFDproject

Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    Restoring the controller should not hurt anything, and if that SD card was in the controller, under the battery, then it sounds like a good idea. You will have to create a new model after the reset.

16. Vicki Felmlee

Jul 26, 2015
    Female
    Marketing
    Grand Junction CO
    SD card in the camera, and the SD in controller only has the android_secure folder

17. Vicki Felmlee

Jul 26, 2015
    Female
    Marketing
    Grand Junction CO
    OK tomorrow I'll do factory reset first, see what happens, then the GUI. I'll also check the wires on that gimble, something is bad there.
    Thank you so much for your help, I'll let you know what does or doesn't happen!

18. WTFDproject

Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    I was working on a revision to the firmware update document for the controller today. I'll upload a copy of it in a couple minutes. The first few steps lead to the place where you can verify what version of firmware is installed on it. That might be a clue. I really suspect you need to do a new firmware update anyway. "Factory Reset" is a misnomer. It really only deletes user data, and leaves the firmware just the way it is.

19. Vicki Felmlee

Jul 26, 2015
    Female
    Marketing
    Grand Junction CO
    OK, I'll hold off doing anything until tomorrow!

20. WTFDproject

Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    This is the firmware update document. You get to be the first to use the new revision.

Attached Files: