WTB: CGO3 Gimbal Board

Discussion in 'Marketplace' started by Mike Reed, Nov 10, 2021.

1. Mike Reed

Mike Reed New Member

Nov 10, 2021
    Male
    Anyone have a broken CGO3 that I could buy the gimbal board off of? One of my solder pads came off and I can't get it re-attached.

Attached Files:

2. WTFDproject

WTFDproject Active Member
    Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    Mike,
    Just replacing the gimbal board will not work. Each gimbal board has to be individually calibrated to the camera. Yuneec never released the calibration software.
    Your only real options are to send the camera to an authorized repair shop, or reattach the wire to an alternate location.
    Vertigo Drones may be able to replace the board and perform the calibration.
    If you will send a picture of your board or mark the picture above to show which pad came off, I can upload a picture to show the correct alternate location.

3. Mike Reed

Mike Reed New Member

Nov 10, 2021
    Male
    Well that's a bummer. Here's the pad that came off:

Attached Files:

4. WTFDproject

Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    You can also remove all three black wires from the camera and just use the "pigtail" that should have come with the kit.

It is very important when using the pigtail that you either remove or insulate the ends of the broken wires. They will still be energized and can permanently damage the drone mainboard if they come in contact with each other or anything else. Refer to Attachment 1 (CG03 Removing the Three Black Wires ) of the PDF document attached to Solved - Way to Fix Drones Project | Yuneec-Forum.com - Q500, Typhoon and Breeze Discussion Forum if you need more details.

The cable you need is part# YUNCGO3104. Often called "Pigtail" or "104 Cable" or "CGO3 Connection Wire". They are often available on Websites such as eBay if you don't have one.

5. Mike Reed

Mike Reed New Member

Nov 10, 2021
    Male
    Man that's awesome. You're a lifesaver. I have that pigtail, just never knew what it was for. I'll plug it up when I get home and see how she works. Thanks!

6. WTFDproject

Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    Great that you have it!!
    But PLEASE remember to secure the damaged wires. Many, many, many CGo3 cameras survived the original event of ripping out the wires but were destroyed forever when the pigtail was plugged in without removing or insulating the damaged wires and any "tracing" that got pulled out with the pad. If you look closely at the damaged board used for this picture, you will see the PWM trace is pulled out and flopping around. That's the sort of thing you are looking for.

Alt LOC.jpg

Lane Hardison likes this.
  7. Lane Hardison

Lane Hardison New Member

Dec 25, 2015
    Male
    perhaps you may be able to help, I have the Q500 no problems work as it should, a friend has one that hit the floor and the infamous three wires broke he mailed his camera to me. Like with so many others the Pulse with modulation wire pulled off the pad like many other. opening my camera I did a continuity test to find out where my working camera PWM wire was connected on the PCB it turns out that the first pin the white connector to the right on the top of the gimbal board is where it appeared to go. so I soldered the PWM wire to the first pin on the PCB.
    when I connect the camera to my drone and bind the camera to the St10 I have video but no camera pitch.
    when I put the camera on the hand cam handle I do have pitch control but not via the ST10 I do get beeps on the St10 when moving the pitch control just no movement. any I deas?
    My friend did purchase a cable that looks like the one used to remove the 3 wires in the WTFD project pdf..
    My question is where does the cable end connect to. I do not have the cable with me. I am guessing one end goes into the connector I soldered to on the gimbal board where does the other end connect?
    one more tidbit of information, my Camera on the handy cam and a Iphone 12 I can connect to the camera and se the image on the iphone. (Yes i connected the CGO3 to the WiFi on the phone My camera connects with 10 seconds. My friends takes about 3 minutes) my friends camera does not broadcast video to my phone but I have pitch control of this camera via the handy cam handle. I have tried the various modes on the handy cam too.
    Thank You for for help.

8. WTFDproject

Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    Gonna have to break this up to address the points and ask the questions:
    "when I connect the camera to my drone and bind the camera to the St10 I have video but no camera pitch."
    "when I put the camera on the hand cam handle I do have pitch control"
    To know how to answer this, I need to know if you are using the same method for connecting the camera on both the drone and the hand cam handle. Are both using the camera's built in "hot shoe"? Are both using the pigtail"? Is one using the hotshoe and the other the pigtail?
    You mentioned "I have the Q500 no problems work as it should". Does that mean YOUR camera has pitch control when mounted on the Q500?

"so I soldered the PWM wire to the first pin on the PCB."

Did you then check continuity all the way from the solder point on the pin back to the contact point on top of the camera?

"I am guessing one end goes into the connector I soldered to on the gimbal board where does the other end connect?"

Into the drone body socket just behind the camera. If the hotshoe camera mount still has the rubber protective cover on it, the cover might be flopped back over the plug and hiding it from you.
    Connect.jpg

"my friends camera does not broadcast video to my phone"

Does you friend's camera broadcast video to the ST10?
    Did you go into your Smartphone and connect your friends camera to the Smartphone WiFi?

9. Lane Hardison

Lane Hardison New Member

Dec 25, 2015
    Male
    Thank you for the quick reply, I will address your questions

"when I connect the my friends camera(Camera #2 ), ( My Camera 1 no issues) to my drone and bind the camera to the St10 I have video but no camera pitch control "

I do not have the pigtail connector it is being mailed to me.

Q. I need to know if you are using the same method for connecting the camera on both the drone and the hand cam handle. Are both using the camera's built in "hot shoe"? Are both using the pigtail"? Is one using the hotshoe and the other the pigtail?

A. I am using the hotshoe on both the drone and the Hand cam handle.

Q. Did you then check continuity all the way from the solder point on the pin back to the contact point on top of the camera?

A. Yes I did a continuity check and resistance check, all checked good.

Q. You mentioned "I have the Q500 no problems work as it should". Does that mean YOUR camera has pitch control when mounted on the Q500?

A. Yes I have pitch control on the drone via the ST10 on my Camera, Camera 1 mounted on the Q500, I also have Pitch control on the Camera 1 on the Hand Cam handle.
    I also have bound both Cameras to the ST10 I created two profiles one for Camera 1 and another for Camera 2.

Camera 2 mounted on the Q500 I do not have pitch control from the ST10. I do have video from cam 2
    Camera 2 mounted on the Hand Cam Handle I do have pitch control. but no video to my phone Yes I have gone to the wifi and connected Cam 2 to wifi on my iphone 12.
    * note on the hand Cam Handle I am using a 3S 11.1 volt 1300 mAh LiPo battery.
    After I wrote the questions last night and hit the send I looked at the bottom of drone and saw the receptacle for the pigtail to plug into. Yes you where correct the rubber protective cover was hiding the receptacle.

Again thank you for your help I hope this answers your questions,

Lane,

10. WTFDproject

Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    This is puzzling.
    There are only 3 major players in a successful bind. The drone. The Camera. The controller.
    Since camera #1 works on your drone, It verifies both the drone and the controller.
    Since camera #2 works on the SteadyGrip, it verifies the camera (gimbal) is good.
    But here's the hitch. The CGo3 is not just a camera. It is also a gimbal. The camera takes pictures and sends video. The gimbal points the camera. Your problem with tilt is a gimbal problem, not a camera problem.
    And the GIMBAL is not directly bound by us. It is controlled through the drone. And it is "bound" to the drone automatically (which why many folks are not aware it even happens). The tilt signal is part of the DRONE control signal, and then the drone tells the camera where you want it to point. All this is to grab at one straw you touched on. You mentioned "I created two profiles one for Camera 1 and another for Camera 2." I am assuming by "create a profile" you mean you created a new Model on the ST10 for Camera 2? Did you bind the new Model (For camera 2) to the drone? Pitch (tilt) will not work until the new controller Model is bound to the DRONE. I need to understand this part before we can decide which way to go with this. But for now; If binding is the issue, Camera 2 tilt should work when the ST10 is on the Model for camera 1. In other words, if camera 1 tilt works, camera 2 tilt should also work. Just by installing the camera. Without changing models. You will have to rebind to each CAMERA each swap to see the on-screen image, but the gimbal does not have to be bound each time to operate the tilt.

11. Lane Hardison

Lane Hardison New Member

Dec 25, 2015
    Male
    Let me say this, while trouble shooting this problem. my Camera 1 did not have a Tilt issue. now it does.
    however I can tilt both cameras on the hand Cam.
    The PWM Pulse Width Modulation is what causes the tilt to function. unfortunately I do not have an Oscilloscope to check that with.

Q. You mentioned "I created two profiles one for Camera 1 and another for Camera 2." I am assuming by "create a profile" you mean you created a new Model on the ST10 for Camera 2? Did you bind the new Model (For camera 2) to the drone? Pitch (tilt) will not work until the model is bound.

A. Yes I made a new Model named it Test for Camera 2 and I did Bind it Yes I went through the process should in the binding video.

I agree with everything you have said,
    I did a total reset to factory on the ST10 and created a new model named it Lane for Camera 1
    I am going to Remove this last Model and start over again.
    I will let you know if this does restore the tilt on my Camera 1.
    thank you,

Lane,

12. Lane Hardison

Lane Hardison New Member

Dec 25, 2015
    Male
    Nov 17, 2021 11:10 PM Central time

Update I now have everything working! Thanks to you. the statement about binding in your last email had me delete both models and create a new model.
    Then I went to flight settings to bind the controller to the drone it is here I made the mistake I never selected
    the actual Drone on the left side under the Bind tab. this prevented the drone and the Controller from communicating. Thus not allowing the tilt to work. after selecting the drone everything works as it should once again.
    Both Cameras are working of course I had to change Models that pairs with the camera

the point is YEA it is working!

Thank you so much for your help!

Lane,

WTFDproject likes this.