Yuneec Mantis Q footage video in Portugal and Spain

Discussion in 'Mantis Q' started by Spooky, Oct 16, 2018.

1. Spooky

Spooky New Member

May 5, 2015
    Hello everybody,
    these are some shots made with the new Mantis Q, I hope you like them:

Bill Roberson and Jas like this.
  2. Junior013

Junior013 New Member

Jul 27, 2018
    Male
    The footage is great and the video quality is better than I expected.

How do you find the Mantis Q overall? How is the stability on it?

Is it any competition for the DJI Mavic?

3. Spooky

Spooky New Member

May 5, 2015
    #3 Spooky, Oct 17, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
    Thank you Junior for your reply,
    Stability is in my opinion absolutely fantastic. As good as any other drone of this size, and with a big advantage over all of them: SILENCE.
    We took to our trip also a Mavic Pro and a Mavic Air, so I can tell in half of the places nobody realized we were flying a drone until one of the Mavics took off. The Mantis Q is so quiet that people and animals don´t normally care about it.
    Flight time is also a big advantage for the Mantis over competitors. With my Mavic Air (exactly same size) I never achieved more that 8-10 minutes of flight, with the Mantis we normally fly 20, 25 or more minutes depending on a number of conditions.
    Comparing two products of so different price is difficult.
    And not everybody needs or wants the complications of a Mavic.
    Filming 4K footage with wind, for instance, is much better if you have a mechanical gimbal instead of EIS.

The footage you are seeing was recorded controlling the speed of the Mantis a lot, and trying not to fly against the wind if it existing.

Then , the Mantis is a free-mistery bird, simple and reliable. Something good to tell, in the first location, the one with the boats, we tried to fly both DJIs and both refused to take off, pretending there was " a sport airport close". That was absolutely wrong, we know the law very well and we had with us the .kmz map of the ANAC Portugal, and it was perfectly legal to fly there as we did with the Mantis, not having it would had been frustrating :D

Of course, one will get much much better quality footage with my new Mavic 2 Pro, provided that:
    - he knows how to deal with the Hasselblad camera that makes light "jumps" if you tilt the camera in automatic, instead of fixing the Aperture in S mode or Manual Mode, for instance.
    - and of course that you want to pay the price.

I hope this honest review is useful for you. It is in Spanish, I´m sorry, but there is our full review of the Mantis Q here:

And about the Mavic 2 Pro:

In the same channel you´ll find some Mavic Air video, too.
    Happy Flights to All!

Junior013 and Jas like this.
  4. Bill Roberson

Bill Roberson New Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Photographer
    Portland, Oregon
    Those fog shots are awesome. Well done. Seems like a decent bird.

Spooky likes this.
  5. gottahavit

gottahavit New Member

Oct 1, 2018
    Male
    So these were shot at 1080 with EIS? Agree I love the fog shots. How's the 4k without EIS?

6. Mario Rodriguez

Dec 24, 2016
    Male
    Photo/videographer
    Miami, FL
    Great flying and awesome shots. Must join everyone else and say that I love the fog shots are quite good. The stability of the shots is impressive considering the simplicity of the gimbal. Yes the color is pretty darn good, but when it comes to the clarity of the image, is where the camera fails me, there is electronic stabilization at play right? if there is maybe that's the reason clarity suffers, but one way or another. considering the lack of intelligent features and the actual quality of the image I think the spark might be a better value in the long run.

Spooky likes this.
  7. Spooky

Spooky New Member

May 5, 2015
    #7 Spooky, Oct 21, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
    Thank you very much for the comments... I am glad you like the fog shots, well, we were really lucky, as we did not have to go up a lot, we were flying at 1600m. over sea level, and some 60m. over ground, and the fog (well, it was rather a cloud hitting the mountain) just passed below the Mantis.
    I knew coming down should be a bit dangerous for the drone was going to take a lot of water but after drying it it flies perfect.

Gottahavit, the 4K without EIS really shakes a lot, to be honest I don´t love it.

Mario, thanks for the reply, are you seeing the video from the original link in the first post? if you see it from the link that is in the quotes, the quality is not the same, I think.
    I guess you are switching your browser to 1080, right?

I had a Spark also, I sold it because the time flight was too short, with some 8-9 minutes you did not have even time to decide the shots you wanted, but it is a nice bird also.
    If you look at both footages (Mantis and Spark) in a big screen, they of course cannot compete with 4K or 2 K, but both Mantis and Spark have the same resolution.
    To compare, I have some footage from the Spark, it was in Norway, I wish I had the Mantis there:

here is the Mantis original link, there should not be a lot of difference, they both film in a maximum resolution of 1920x1080@30fps...

8. gottahavit

gottahavit New Member

Oct 1, 2018
    Male
    Thanks for the info on the 4k. I'm addicted to 4k at this point with my q500.

Spooky likes this.