Yuneec Typhoon 500+ Neil - Novice user!

Discussion in 'Help' started by Neil Mitchener, Mar 31, 2022.

1. Neil Mitchener

Neil Mitchener New Member

Mar 31, 2022
    Male
    So, recently bought a second hand YUNEEC Typhoon 500+ drone, and as a novice I just would like advise re the Lypo Battery.

I ran it today to drain the battery, which left a voltage of 10.3 volts acording to the transmitter, (batt is 11.1 total , 3.7volts per cell. fully charged).
    Is this 10.3 volts sufficient to re charge it again, or in fact to store it.?

I have read not to drain below 3.2 volts, but is that the total, or per cell?

I do have the supplied charger supplied with it, but no discharger, so is running it down as explained above, sufficient to store and /or recharge ready for next flight?

I do have an independent charger/discharger, but unsure which settings to use for my battery, eg...time set, amps to use etc etc, so would appreciate your advice there too please.

What do the pod lights mean under each motor?

Rgds

Neil Mitchener UK

2. WTFDproject

WTFDproject Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont

Trust me. You could spend a couple of lifetimes reading all the information available on proper storage of batteries. And the answer would vary according to how often you need them.
    The best answer for a new user is probably just to fly the drone down to the first low level battery warning. When you land, the voltage will bounce back up to about the normal storage charge. Not a perfect system, but very useable unless you want to buy an aftermarket battery charger and have a way to check voltages.

About 11.25 Volts total is a frequently recommended storage voltage for the Q500 battery.

This article has some good information:
    A Guide to Understanding LiPo Batteries — Roger's Hobby Center (rogershobbycenter.com)

You asked if 3.2v minimum voltage was "per cell" or "total". That is "PER CELL". If total voltage ever got anywhere near 3.2, the battery would be destroyed.

3. Neil Mitchener

Mar 31, 2022
    Male
    Ah many thanks for your advice. Do you know meanings of the lights on the bottom of the four motors? Rgds Neil

4. WTFDproject

WTFDproject Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    The under motor lights are mostly used for a navigation aide. The only "status" purpose I recall is they flash rapidly on low battery warning.

5. Neil Mitchener

Mar 31, 2022
    Male
    Many thanks for your help. Rgds Neil