Typhoon G Yuneec Typhoon G compatible camera's

Discussion in 'Q500/Q500+/Q500 4K/Typhoon G' started by Harm, Jan 18, 2019.

1. Harm

Harm New Member

Jan 18, 2019
    Male
    Hi,

currently I am flying with a Yuneec Typhoon G (the Q500 Gopro version) with a Gopro Hero3+.
    Is it possible to connect other gimbals/camera's? Such as the:

CGO2-gb
    CGO2+
    CGO3
    CGO3+

Thanks in advance.

2. WTFDproject

WTFDproject Active Member
    Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    CGO2-gb, CGO2+ and the CGO3 will all work.

The CGO3+ will not. It has a different gimbal initialization code that will not allow tilt to work. You can fly it and get video, but with only a straight forward, fixed view. It's also a little taller than the others, and ground clearance is an issue.

3. Riktar

Riktar Member

Jan 16, 2017
    Male
    I have a Typhoon G that came from Ebay and included a CGO3+ camera with handheld grip that I put on my Q500 G and it paired up to my ST10+ without any issue.

WTFDproject: I am curious why you think the CGO3+ would not work/pair up?

4. WTFDproject

Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    Because I have tried it on several Q500s, and the tilt does not work when mounted on any of the Q500 drones I have tried. The video works, and the camera maintains itself stable, but you cannot get the tit to work. If the tilt works on your setup, then perhaps there is more to the story than I know. Please confirm you can tilt the camera in your setup.

5. Riktar

Riktar Member

Jan 16, 2017
    Male
    #5 Riktar, Jan 27, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
    Yes I can tilt the camera.

I am not disputing what your saying. Maybe the older Q500/Q500+ or the "non +" ST10 can't handle the CGO3+ cameras when it comes to tilt.

I am assuming (Yes I know, I know....) that since the OP stated he had a Typhoon G it came with a ST10+ radio which I can confirm does pair and fully controls the CGO3+ camera, including tilt.

So if the OP get's back on this thread he can confirm if he has a ST10+ radio that came with his Typhoon G.

So maybe it's not the drone but the radio (ST10 vs ST10+) that is causing the lack of tilt function.

WTFDproject: Curious if your using a ST10 or a ST10+ radio?

6. WTFDproject

Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    This is very interesting.
    I've used both the ST10 and the ST10+. I've tried Q500, Q500+ and Q5004k drones. I don't have a typhoon G.
    All other cameras work with either controller on any of these drones.

I would love to know you are correct. It would be a way to use my CG03+ that currently sits on a shelf.

Would you mind posting a picture of your camera?
    If possible, what version firmware is your Typhoon G running?
    And the firmware version of your controller.

7. Riktar

Riktar Member

Jan 16, 2017
    Male
    It appropriate that it's still morning since it will make it more palatable to wipe the eggs off my face and use them for breakfast.

It is just now occurring to me that the OP was asking about the camera (CGO3+) that is for the Typhoon H.

Ugh, you are absolutely correct about it not having any control available on the Q500/ST10.

I will start drinking more coffee before I reply to posts in the morning from here on out.

Sorry about this. I am feeling pretty dumb right now.... :oops:

WTFDproject and Jagerbomb52 like this.
  8. Jagerbomb52

Jagerbomb52 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2015
    Male
    Retired
    Canada
    Don't worry I think we all have been there and done that :)

Riktar likes this.
  9. WTFDproject

Staff Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Male
    Retired Power Plant
    North Carolina Piedmont
    [QUOTE=" I am feeling pretty dumb right now.... :oops:[/QUOTE]

No, you are certainly not dumb. You simply missed a small part of the details in the original post. Each of us has either made such an error, or some day will. It goes with communicating by writing when we cannot have face to face conversation. The important point is that you came back and clarified the issue. This is the very right thing to do. This is how a Forum works. Thank you.

I went back and added a "Like" to your post. I hope all others that recognize the value of correcting misinformation will do the same. Correcting misinformation involves some personal pain. Many fail to do the right thing. You did not fail.

Riktar likes this.
  10. Riktar

Riktar Member

Jan 16, 2017
    Male
    For the sake of explaining the "oops": I was making a video of the camera on the Typhoon and showing how the camera would tilt, etc and for the final shot I showed the camera pairing menu on the ST10+ and thought, "I wonder why the menu is showing the camera as a CGO3 and not a CGO3+...." and then the realization swept over me like a bad odor......

Thank you both for the understanding and kind words.

11. Harm

Harm New Member

Jan 18, 2019
    Male
    Thanks so much for the help and for all the replies. It is indeed a ST10+.

12. cabinfourus

cabinfourus New Member

Mar 2, 2019
    Male
    I purchased a new Q500 Typhoon G (GoPro model) on eBay for 189.00. It came with all the extras. I wanted to give these Yuneec drones a try and see how well I like them. I own a DB Power 4K action camera and it is an exact GoPro 4 clone with one exception. The USB port on the camera is a micro port and the cable that comes with the drone is a mini USB. I ordered an adapter and want to try it but I want to know if it could mess up my drone since it is not an actual GoPro 4. I want to use the FPV video option but would like to use the camera I have. I can use the camera's wifi and connect to my phone but this would be too much to handle while doing videos and pictures. Also, should I update the firmware on this drone before my first flight? I am guessing this model was deleted due to the camera issues?

13. Nidge

Nidge New Member

Aug 23, 2015
    Male
    Retired
    Otley, West Yorkshire

On a GoPro Hero3/4 the USB port does not natively support analog video out. To enable this a resistor is connected across two pins inside the USB plug going to the video transmitter. Now if the DB Power have really cloned the GoPro in its entirety and have wired the USB port exactly the same but in micro as opposed to mini then in theory it would work. If not at the very best it just won’t work, at worst bad things might happen.

Personally I would look on the usual auction sites for a used/refurbished GoPro Hero 3 Black. It doesn’t have 4K but the video quality is still better than the DB Power camera and can be bought relatively cheaply.

Regards

Nidge.

14. HarveyH54

HarveyH54 Active Member

Think the USB is also 8 pins, though not all are used. Been a couple of years, but never found an adapter. I did manage to find a connector, with pigtail wires. Never got around to using it though, found a replacement CGO3. Oh, and you can't control the GoPro/clone with the ST10+ either. It will give the the FPV video, but you can't snap photos, start/stop video recording. I don't have a GoPro/clone, but other action cameras. The gimbal is balanced for the GoPro, but I could get it to accomodate any of my cameras, Didn't mess with it enough to add a counter-balance weight. There is an adjustment nut, but doesn't give much range.

15. cabinfourus

cabinfourus New Member

Mar 2, 2019
    Male
    I installed the clone and it seemed to be OK. I found an adapter and may try it but I am a bit nervious. Do either of you know what firmware update is the latest for the G? It took a while but I found it and downloaded it and it is the 1.07.